Question

Processing of big rasters.

• 19 October 2017
  • 3 replies

I have a lot of orthophotomaps in tiff format. The size of all files is about 900GB. I want to join all files to one. Next I want to change coordinate system and next I want to intersect the orthophoto using appropriate frames. I have problem because FME doesn't operate so big raster. Could You give me advice how can I do it?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

With 900 GB of TIFF files that can indeed be an issue.

I would recommend doing the reprojection after the mosaicking, so that order is correct. But could you elaborate what you mean with "intersect the orthophoto using appropriate frames"? Do you mean clipping?

And in general terms, try to run this on a machine with lots of ram and a lot of free space on the temp drive (if that temp drive is an SSD that'd be even better)

Userlevel 4

I think you'll have to rethink your strategy a little, one single raster feature of 900 GB isn't going to be managable at all.

Are you trying to re-tile the rasters, perhaps? Some more info would be helpful.

Badge +9

I would start with replacing the raster tiles with their bounding box and save those in a separate dataset, perhaps in a SpatiaLite database. Then you can reproject those bounding boxes and use a SpatialFilter with the "frames" you are talking about. Then you can make a list which bounding boxes i.e. which raster tiles that correspond to each "frame". Hopefully that will narrow it down to less data to deal wit. The next step is to read only those tiles, mosaick them together, reproject and clip.