Solved

Use case of transformer Coordinate System Convergence Calculator

Badge +7

Hi all,

I wounder if anyone has a typical use case of the custom CoordinateSystemConvergenceCalculator ?

https://hub.safe.com/publishers/safe-lab/transformers/coordinatesystemconvergencecalculator

Basically my goal is to see if this transformer could handle the issue in Sketchup with the green axis versus the TrueNorth axis when geo-locating a model as discussed in this forum:

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/solar-north-geolocation/18473/11

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 5 March 2020, 23:26

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @kidega,

I think that would be a great use for the transformer!

I am attaching a workspace that should automatically adjust the Sketchup file to align the original green axis to true north. Please give it a try to see if it work as expected.

screen-shot-2020-03-05-at-22134-pmRotateToTrueNorth.fmw

Badge +7

Hi @kidega,

I am attaching a workspace that should automatically adjust the Sketchup file to align the original green axis to true north. Please give it a try to see if it work as expected.

Hi @daveatsafe,

Thanks alot for a possible workflow solution! I'll give it a try and see if it works.

Many thanks!

Badge +7

Hi @kidega,

Hi @daveatsafe,

In first test this works perfect! Rotation is accurate. Many thanks!

Badge +7

Hi @kidega,

Hi @daveatsafe,

I have continued to use your custom workspace above and it has worked very fine. What I am doing now is reading a .kmz file and calculate the rotation which is all good. The problem I have is to write it back to .kmz with a working 3D model when importing to Sketchup. Not sure if it would work to write to sketchup direct as well? In the writer I have set Coordinate system to WGS84.

The source .kmz has coordinate labeled:

CS_NAME: KML COORDSYS 0

DT_NAME: WGS84

So when I compare the readmodel.kmz and WritedModel.kmz, I noticed a difference in Min and Max Extents for x and y values.

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @daveatsafe,

I have continued to use your custom workspace above and it has worked very fine. What I am doing now is reading a .kmz file and calculate the rotation which is all good. The problem I have is to write it back to .kmz with a working 3D model when importing to Sketchup. Not sure if it would work to write to sketchup direct as well? In the writer I have set Coordinate system to WGS84.

The source .kmz has coordinate labeled:

CS_NAME: KML COORDSYS 0

DT_NAME: WGS84

So when I compare the readmodel.kmz and WritedModel.kmz, I noticed a difference in Min and Max Extents for x and y values.

Thanks!

Hi @kidega,

I would recommend writing directly to Sketchup instead of KMZ. This way the Sketchup output is completely under FME's control. FME will write the appropriate georeferencing to the Sketchup file.

Badge +7

Hi @kidega,

I would recommend writing directly to Sketchup instead of KMZ. This way the Sketchup output is completely under FME's control. FME will write the appropriate georeferencing to the Sketchup file.

Hi @daveatsafe,

Thanks, writing to Sketchup worked just fine!

Badge +7

Hi @kidega,

Hi @daveatsafe,

Just by curiosity.. does your workspace of aligning original green axis to true north, work by rotating each feature's center point, that enters?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @daveatsafe,

Just by curiosity.. does your workspace of aligning original green axis to true north, work by rotating each feature's center point, that enters?

Hi @kidega,

The workspace rotates each feature around 0,0,0.

Badge +7

Hi @kidega,

The workspace rotates each feature around 0,0,0.

Hi @daveatsafe,

Ok thanks for your answer.