Question

Vertical text in dwg export?

• 18 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Does anyone know which attribute (s) you have to work with if you want to be able to get to standing(vertical) text in a dwg export?

I have a workspace where I load text (regular text in plan) from a autocad dwg. I want to rotate the text 90 degrees around the x-axis so that it becomes upright (this so that it can be better consumed in eg Navisworks)

I have tried with 3D rotator which usually works but it does not seem to work for Text objects.

My workaround is the moment to use a Textstroker and then to rotate the polygon objects it creates. The polygon objects rotate just fine with the 3D rotator. However, I would like to have the vertical text as text objects rather than polygons.

I know that FME can handle vertical text objects because i tried importing a file with vertical text and export it to a new dwg, the text i still standing.

There must be a way:)

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Set the attribute

autocad_rotation

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

For text you need to set the attribute "autocad_original_rotation"

Badge +1

Set the attribute

autocad_rotation

Thanks for your suggestion! Looking at the attribute from an imported dwg containing two text objects, one vertical and one horizontal the attribute i set to 0 for both of them so it does not seem to be this attribute. Maybe you have more information on how to set it?

Badge +21

I think the clue is to get hold of the Orientation perameter of the IFMEPoint - however I cant seem to get to change this?

Also the TextPropertyExtractor only extracts _text_rotation = 0 - even though its 90.

Badge +1

For text you need to set the attribute "autocad_original_rotation"

Thanks! How do you define which axis this attribute rotate around? When setting the attribute the text rotates, but only in planar mode. See this image.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jorma_Laaksonen/publication/305684696/figure/fig1/AS:391458059243523@1470342282144/The-yaw-pitch-and-roll-angles-in-the-human-head-motion-11.png

I get the text to rotate in the yaw direction but I'm really after the pitch direction.