Question

Add fonts to FME Cloud

• 19 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Can I add my own fonts (Truetype or OpenType) to FME Cloud? Where do I place the files?

(let's assume I have the relevant license to use the font on a server)

3 replies

Badge +5

Someone at Safe may have a different answer but as far as I know this is not possible. FME Cloud instances are locked down and no direct instance access is available so you'd have to do this somehow via the FME Server web interface or the AWS console. I don't think either of those places would get you where you need to be to install font files... I'd love to be proven wrong by Safe though!

@stewart.harper - any thoughts?

Badge

@redgeographics

Can you tell us a bit more about the use case? Are you planning to use the fonts in any Transformers/Readers/Writers? If so which ones?

I think the for the Adobe PDF Writer the workspace folder of the translation is always searched for fonts, therefore it should be possible to upload fonts directly to the repository with the workspace (when publishing to FME Server) to use it in the writer/workspace.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

@redgeographics

Can you tell us a bit more about the use case? Are you planning to use the fonts in any Transformers/Readers/Writers? If so which ones?

I think the for the Adobe PDF Writer the workspace folder of the translation is always searched for fonts, therefore it should be possible to upload fonts directly to the repository with the workspace (when publishing to FME Server) to use it in the writer/workspace.

It's for a (potential) business venture where clients can customize posters. So I would make a standard design but allow the client to specify a few lines of text which then gets written into a PDF and printed. I need to be 100% certain that the fonts I use to design it are also used in the final PDF. So for that we would need them to be available in the PDFStyler

Alternatively I would not output PDF but a high resolution JPG or TIFF instead, in which case I would use the MapnikRasterizer.