Question

FME 2018 crashes with ESRI ArcGIS Desktop (Python 2.7) interpreter

I have a workspace that I'm migrating from FME Workbench 2015 to FME Workbench 2018 and whenever I pick the Python interpreter ESRI ArcGIS Desktop (Python 2.7) it crashes, while it runs with no problems on the 2015 version. I tried disabling all transformers with python code and custom transformers, but FME keeps crashing. When I switch to the regular Python 2.7 interpreter it runs but I need the ESRI one for the shutdown script. Are there compatibility issues with this interpreter in the 2018 version?

5 replies

Badge +8

The Compatibility matrix looks like it should be supported... https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1517/notes-on-fme-and-esri-versions-and-compatibility.html

Are you using any transformers downloaded from hub? If you create a new workspace with only a creator and your shutdown python script, does it still error out?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @twolfs

I'm sorry you're running into this issue. If you could provide the following information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Can you clarify what you mean by 'crash'? Does the translation fail with an error? If so, can you provide the log file?

What version of ArcGIS Desktop do you have installed?

@runneals The workspace does not use transformers from FME Hub. Moreover, FME 2018.1 does not crash when I make a new workspace with just a creator, the same shutdown script and the ESRI interpreter like you suggested.

@debbiatsafe With 'crash' I mean the following:

The log does not say more than: 'Starting translation...'. Its the 10.3.1 version of ArcGIS Desktop.

Edit: I have tried importing the different Python modules used throughout the workspace in a new workspace with the ESRI interpreter and none of them cause FME 2018.1 to crash.

Badge +16

Hi

Can we see more details of your environment?

Disable your workspace's processing and in a startup script add these lines and share the log:

import os, sys

print sys.prefix

print os.environ.get('PYTHONPATH')

print os.environ.get('PYTHONHOME')

This might throw some light on what is happening.

My system says:

C:\\Python27\\ArcGIS10.7

c:\\program files (x86)\\arcgis\\desktop10.7\\bin;c:\\program files (x86)\\arcgis\\desktop10.7\\ArcPy;c:\\program files (x86)\\arcgis\\desktop10.7\\ArcToolbox\\Scripts

None

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

@runneals The workspace does not use transformers from FME Hub. Moreover, FME 2018.1 does not crash when I make a new workspace with just a creator, the same shutdown script and the ESRI interpreter like you suggested.

@debbiatsafe With 'crash' I mean the following:

The log does not say more than: 'Starting translation...'. Its the 10.3.1 version of ArcGIS Desktop.

Edit: I have tried importing the different Python modules used throughout the workspace in a new workspace with the ESRI interpreter and none of them cause FME 2018.1 to crash.

Could you please attach the workspace where you see this crash behaviour and the log file from the Windows Event Viewer when this crash occurs? In addition, please run the .bat file from this general troubleshooting article and send the HTML report to us. This will provide us with some information about your system.

If you are unable to share these publicly, please feel free to submit a support case here. Note: we are currently experiencing technical issues with Salesforce CRM so there may be delays in case response.