Question

ArcMap Mxd to DWG

• 17 September 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge

Good day.

I have ArcMap mxd file. I want it convert to DWG file, with colour symbols and text and etc.

Can you help me. How can i do it wthe FME

7 replies

Badge +16

Despite the fact that FME has an MXD reader, it is not possible to do what you are attempting with it.

Badge

Despite the fact that FME has an MXD reader, it is not possible to do what you are attempting with it.

Why, Is I know this tools has components for it ?

Badge +16

Why, Is I know this tools has components for it ?

Good question, no idea....according to the documentation the MXD reader uses the same technology as the fgdb reader therefore spatial features will be returned via the mxd reader with the fme_color attribute.

This could be used to create dwg lines with different colors, but is not considered best practice in a GIS 2 CAD conversion. This being said the converting symbols into dwg blocks is advisable this way.

The best way to create dwg is using a template file that holds the output style definitions (color, width, blocks, etc) via the dwgstyler pr an external schema.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I got some information about MXD files...

ArcMap document files contain map, specifics about the GIS data used (including pointers to the file location for each dataset), display information (symbology and labeling) and other elements used in ArcMap. ArcMap document files don’t physically store GIS data but contain pointers to the location of the GIS data.

FME will read the MXD file, and it will read the datasets that it points to. However, it won't read all of the symbology, labelling, or other elements used specifically by ArcMap.

So you can read the MXD file, which will read the data, then apply styling to it using the DWGStyler transformer before you write it to AutoCAD. As itay says, the best way is to create an AutoCAD template file that holds style definitions, and write the data to that template using FME.

Badge

right click a layer in arcmap

"Save as layer file"

Drag that layer file into fme and it will contain arcmap outline color and fill colour. in fme attributes that you can expose send to data inspector and you will see (this also works for thematically mapped layers)

then use the dwgstyler. (im assuming this wll work i usually direct to dgn)

I often use this method for setting colours in kmz files as well

Badge

right click a layer in arcmap

"Save as layer file"

Drag that layer file into fme and it will contain arcmap outline color and fill colour. in fme attributes that you can expose send to data inspector and you will see (this also works for thematically mapped layers)

then use the dwgstyler. (im assuming this wll work i usually direct to dgn)

I often use this method for setting colours in kmz files as well

Oh, It's great, this is what I need, I tested it, It worked.

thank you for your sharing.

Badge

Thank you very much for your answer