Question

SQL Reader/Writer: Reconnect after connection problem

• 18 April 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to reconnect to a (sql server) DB if a connection problem has occurred.

Here's our situation:

Sometimes, very rarely, we are unable to connect to our SQL Server DB. It may work for 10 days straight, and then it fails one single time and will work again for a unknown timespan. The error message looks like the SQL Server is down (or the connection attempt is corrupted on it's way through our network):

2018-03-21 07:01:18| 1.2| 0.0|ERROR |Could not open the Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147155559'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Failure to access the DBMS server}

2018-03-21 07:01:18| 1.2| 0.0|ERROR |Please ensure the connection parameters are correct (server=`......)

2018-03-21 07:01:18| 1.2| 0.0|ERROR |A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

We've created a test environment where we run a FME job, which starts and connects to the DB, every single minute and then exits. If a failure occurs, the next run works fine again.

To be clear: I only want to know, if there's some kind of parameter / setting, to reconnect to the DB (or any target of the reader / writer) if there was an error. E.g. "try 3 times and then exit".

In the meantime, we are watching our network and try to find out, if there's some server-side / network problem. We don't think, that the error is produced by our basic FME / SQL Native Client / Driver setup, as the problem occurrs only once in a while and can not be reproduced on command.

Thanks for your help

Regard, Lucky

1 reply

Userlevel 4

I think you'll have to use a loop over a FMEServerJobSubmitter or WorkspaceRunner, as far as I know there's no such built-in option.