Question

Writing to ArcGIS Online hosted feature service errors

• 21 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I have an FME 2018.1 tool that updates an ArcGIS Online-hosted feature service (Writer Mode: INSERT, Truncate First: YES). The feature service has about 15,000 parcel polygons. Typical changes: a dozen or so new polygons per month, a dozen to a hundred attribute table changes per month.

The tool/transformers all work when attempted on a local geodatabase feature class. Therefore I am able to rule out transformer problems. But when the tool runs on AGOL-hosted feature services sometimes it works. Other times it fails and returns these various errors:

- The error code from the server was '504' and the message was: 'Your request has timed out.'

- The app domain with specified version id (xxxx) was unloaded due to memory pressure and could not be found

- Could not connect to server. Check that you are connected to the internet and that no firewall is blocking outbound connections. The error was '('Connection aborted.', error(10053, 'An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine')

As suggested in this thread, I have experimented with changing the Writer's "Advanced -> Features Per Request" from 1000 to 500 and even 200. Also, I experimented with updates / sync as suggested in this help topic, but unfortunately the data I am working with does not have a reliable and consistent Object ID that I can use for the sync. My data update process must be truncate-append.

Does anyone happen to have any tips for writing to an ArcGIS Online hosted feature service?

3 replies

Badge +10

Hi @bfausel,

There two options I would like to give you:

- The first is to try to re-authenticate your ArcGIS Online account. I know this should not be necessary, but I have noticed that similar problems are often resolved when I re-authenticate.

- The second option is to try to use the REST API and the HTTPCaller transformer. I have a few feature services in ArcGIS Online which cannot be updated with the regular ArcGIS Online Writer since there are spaces and special characters in the layername, which are not allowed in the Writer. For those cases I use the HTTPCaller. You will need to create an ArcGIS Online token (there is a custom transformer available for that) and with the token you can use the HTTPCaller.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Lars de Vries

Badge +14

This is a known issue with ArcGIS Online. I'm still working with esri on identifying the root cause and getting it fixed. I suggest taking a look at this thread on how you can leverage the append api.

This is a known issue with ArcGIS Online. I'm still working with esri on identifying the root cause and getting it fixed. I suggest taking a look at this thread on how you can leverage the append api.

Hi,

Any updates on this issue? I have 22 features to update and 21 have successfully been updated however, I have encountered this issue on 22nd my feature. I have tried updating one by one, by group i.e. point and linear feature. The one that failed is one of the linear features.

Regards

Lex