Question

Support of ESRI Representations When Mapping of Data Between ESRI File Geodatabases

• 16 November 2012
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Does FME support ESRI Representation when mapping data between two file geodatabases? If so how do you go about setting this up?

Thank you,

Sam

7 replies

Badge
Hi Sam,

what do you mean with ESRI representation? In the ArcGIS world the representation is usually stored in the project-file (in the mxd) or layer-file. The representation is usually not stored in the Geodatabase. If the datamodel of the Geodatabases are the same you can use the same project-file / layer file with different data-connections or reuse the project / layer-file.

If you store information about the representation in the Geodatabase (e.g. symbol number,...) you can write this from one Geodatabase to the other just by mapping the attributes in FME.

Kind regards

Uta
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi Uta,

Firstly, thanks for your answer.

The representation that I'm referring to is those stored in the Geodatabase in two separate columns.  One is the rule Id and the other is the geometry override.  The problem that I've had in my limited testing is that although the ID and the geometry seems to come accross the new geodatabase, but it is not recognized as the actual representation.  For example in the input geodatabase the representation ID is displayed as "Road-Two Lane," but in the output geodatabase the representation ID is displayed as an integer (2).  It appears that the link between the representation ID and the actual symbol representation is broken.  When review the properties of the output feature, under the Symbology tab, the representation is not there.

Hopefully this makes sense to you...

Again, many thanks and if you or anyonelese reviewing this has any more ideas, that would be much appreciated.

Kindest regars,

Sam
Badge +2
Hi Sam, 

did you ever received another answer? From my point of view FME supports Esri representation when mapping from one Geodatabase to another. All you have to do is export the Geodatabase schema as an XML Workspace Document in ArcCatalog and then use this as a Template File in FME Workbench Geodatabase writer and do a simple mapping between source and destination feature class. If you do NOT use a template file, FME only copies the attributes (rules and override) but doesn't recognize the domain and the representation configuration itself.

Hope that helps!

Christian
Badge

I to am wondering if FME supports this. What we have feature classes with up to two representations. So, four representation columns. I am wondering if it is possible to export the feature class to other formats using a representation geometry. I am also very interested in writing the base geometry to a representation fields.

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

I to am wondering if FME supports this. What we have feature classes with up to two representations. So, four representation columns. I am wondering if it is possible to export the feature class to other formats using a representation geometry. I am also very interested in writing the base geometry to a representation fields.

Hello @fallingdog​ , it appears FME can detect selected representations on read, but cannot read/write the geometry of those representations - which it sounds like you are looking to do. I might suggest posting an idea for this on our Ideas Page (and linking it to this question for other users to see). Sorry I don't have better news! Kailin.

Badge

Hello @fallingdog​ , it appears FME can detect selected representations on read, but cannot read/write the geometry of those representations - which it sounds like you are looking to do. I might suggest posting an idea for this on our Ideas Page (and linking it to this question for other users to see). Sorry I don't have better news! Kailin.

Okay, that is too bad. Thanks for the feedback Kailin.

I did post on "Ideas"

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hey @fallingdog​ , linking it here for other users to find: https://community.safe.com/s/idea/0874Q000000cTwAQAU/detail