Question

points to lines

• 19 January 2015
  • 7 replies

Badge
Okay so I'm pretty new to both GIS and FME so keep that in mind. But my problem is that I have a sde layer with all our wells in it, what I'm trying to do is create boreholes off of both a lat long for surface and a lat long for bottom hole location. I have been able to do this without a hitch on another model though the only difference between the two is SDE and CSV. I have a vertex creator for surface hole lat long and bottom hole lat long. Have allowed geometries to geodb_polyline and it worked when reading off a csv. Reading off  SDE I get "Cannot write a non-linear feature to a polyline feature class" witch makes sense but I have made this work before... This works when writing to a shape file to the local machine also. So I'm thinking I need a extra transformer or something.. Anyway thanks for looking. 

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

sounds like there is a problem with the data you're trying to write, since SDE reports that you're trying to write a non-linear geometry (a point, maybe?) to your polyline feature class.

Try inserting a GeometryFilter, connect "Line" to your writer and "<Unfiltered>" to an Inspector to see what you've got.

David
Badge +3
Hi,

To create a line of those points u must set vertexcreator for startpoint to "replace" and the end point to "add". This will create a line.

Both set to create will just give 1 point wich is then replaced by the other point.
Badge
Hello david, thanks for your reply

Thats the thing I am indeed writing a point to a line so to speak, I have got this exact model to work in 2014 (2015 is where the problem lies). I have tried using a tester to filter out the rows that are blank on bottom hole lat long. (this gets the error to few points). But the model attached does indeed work in 2014. I just run into both these problems so often I figured that there was a better way of going about the whole thing. 

So point well file > vertex creator on lat long for BHL (replace with point) > add point for SHL> geodb_polyline output.
Badge +3
Maybe you have records where the bottombpoint is same as toppoint, then the replace-add pair will create a point still?
Badge
I don' think so. I have tried using GeometryRemover right out the gate as that seemes like it would have worked, at least by reading the help data on it. but no dice. Since I'm buildig everything off lat long values the exsisting geometry doesn't matter one bit. 
Badge +3
So there are no BHL_SHL pairs with the same lat,longs? You tested this?(i assume yes, but had to ask..)

What did the geometryfilter yield after the linecreation? Does it yiled points?

Maybe it is the SDE writer? (you stated that when writing to a CSV there are no such issues)

Some posts down SDE writer has issues also with building Boundingboxes from points; it tries to write the points where only the BB geometry is passed. When used with a shapewriter it does not show such behaviour.

try writing it to shape, see if it also reports mixed geometries.
Badge
Okay somehow I didn't take in the hint about the geometry filter I added that after point creation and we have a working jiving model. Thanks both of you for your help.