Question

Dynamic reader parameters

• 22 September 2015
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge
Hi,

is it possible to create dynamic parameters for a FME reader? I am writing a FME reader and it would be great if you guys can give my some advice implementing the following idea. The reader parameters include some server information. Once the user enters this information, a connection is established to the server (as background job) and a list of layers (of a CityGML scene/file stored on the server) is given back from the server. This list appears in some way in the reader parameter window and the user can select multiple layers. All this should happened before the parameter window is closed. How can I do that?

If this is not possible: Can a run a (python) script before the user clicks the parameter button (inside the "Add reader" window)? Then, I could use the script to fetch the layer list from the server (using  hard-coded server information) and provide the layer list as static information once the parameter window appears. Again, how can I do that?

Thanks for your support

ben   

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi,

I would create a reader that returns the entire layer list and use a user parameter in a tester to test for the desired layer.

Hope this helps. 
Badge
Thanks, that is a good idea.

What is the best way to implement such a reader? I only know the regular pattern overwriting the open, read and readSchema method(). But this reader would not deal with features at all, it would just provide a list (of strings). Can I ignore all feature stuff?