Question

Receiving snmp message

• 6 October 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I was wondering, is there any option to receive snmp message (trap message) on host: localhost, port: 162. I've tried connecting to TCPIPReceiver - gets me fatal error; tried get method in HTTP Caller - gets me wrong message (since no port is defined). Was trying to also define UDP publication in FME Server (Topic monitoring shows me nothing).

Of course, I might be missing some crucial parameter. Might be, even, entrying wrong values to necesary parameters. So, please, correct me.

Thank you.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I wouldn't think that TCPIP or UDP would be compatible. After all they are different protocols. Of course on a scale of 1-10 my knowledge of snmp is about 1, so don't take my word for it.

Still, another way of doing this in FME would probably be a Python SNMP library. I see there is PySNMP so that is perhaps the way to go first.

See: http://pysnmp.sourceforge.net/ or this StackExchange question.

Otherwise please contact our support team (safe.com/support) and see if someone there can help. I expect someone on our enterprise team might be able to assist.

Badge +1

I wouldn't think that TCPIP or UDP would be compatible. After all they are different protocols. Of course on a scale of 1-10 my knowledge of snmp is about 1, so don't take my word for it.

Still, another way of doing this in FME would probably be a Python SNMP library. I see there is PySNMP so that is perhaps the way to go first.

See: http://pysnmp.sourceforge.net/ or this StackExchange question.

Otherwise please contact our support team (safe.com/support) and see if someone there can help. I expect someone on our enterprise team might be able to assist.

Hey Mark,

thank you for your answer. For some time no one responded, got me thinking my question doesn't make sense... Anyway, support said that SNMP is currently not natively supported in FME and to also try using PythonCreator transformer (with before mentioned library). I'm also going to post SNMP problem to ideas so that in some time it gets supported (hopefully).

Cheers,

Želimir