Solved

Location templates in 2018 not under Shared FME folders

Badge +2

When migrating from 2016 to 2018 I noticed that the folder Templates no longer exists when using a Shared FME Folder (FME Options, Default Path). There is a new folder Workspaces but it isn’t used for templates.

Where do I store our company templates on a shared location so they will be visible when creating a new workspace?

icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 3 August 2018, 00:31

View original

6 replies

Badge +10

@bradr

I have a customer with the same problem.Did you try creating the missing Templates folder in the shared folder manually?

Badge +2
Hi @bradr, I'm sorry you have encountered this problem, I have filed a problem report #84501 and I will let you know when the issue has been addressed.

Badge +2

Hi @bradr,

This PR (#84501) has now been resolved and was determined to be a documentation issue only. The 'Templates' subfolder was in fact removed from the list in FME 2017. Instead the default path folder for both Workspaces and Templates was was changed to FME\\Workspaces.

You should therefore be able to use the Workspaces subfolder for any template needs, and alternatively could refer to File > my recent templates to pull these out when creating a new workspace.

Badge +2

Hi @bradr,

This PR (#84501) has now been resolved and was determined to be a documentation issue only. The 'Templates' subfolder was in fact removed from the list in FME 2017. Instead the default path folder for both Workspaces and Templates was was changed to FME\\Workspaces.

You should therefore be able to use the Workspaces subfolder for any template needs, and alternatively could refer to File > my recent templates to pull these out when creating a new workspace.

Hello @hollyatsafe,

That is a serious drawback from FME 2016. Centralized templates are useful in a multi-user organization.

In a fresh FME installation when using File, New there is a group called Installed Templates. These templates are located under c:\\Program Files\\FME\\res\\templates. If I put our company templates there it works fine. Even our categories are automatically added and the workspace metadata Overview, Help and History are visible.

However Program Files is not centralized and only for users with administrator rights.

If I put our templates in the folder Workspaces as you suggests the user has to File, Open the Workspace-folder and search for the template file to be used. The user is missing the workspace metadata as in the File, New dialog.

Once activated it is possible to use Recent Templates next time but the user is not informed that there might be extra templates added in that folder. He does not open the folder anymore.

In FME 2016 a user sees all the company templates at once, automatically updated when categories are added or altered, including the metadata, just like the installed templates.

Very functional.

Is it possible to re-add the 2016 functionality in FME 2018?
Badge +2
Hello @hollyatsafe,

That is a serious drawback from FME 2016. Centralized templates are useful in a multi-user organization.

In a fresh FME installation when using File, New there is a group called Installed Templates. These templates are located under c:\\Program Files\\FME\\res\\templates. If I put our company templates there it works fine. Even our categories are automatically added and the workspace metadata Overview, Help and History are visible.

However Program Files is not centralized and only for users with administrator rights.

If I put our templates in the folder Workspaces as you suggests the user has to File, Open the Workspace-folder and search for the template file to be used. The user is missing the workspace metadata as in the File, New dialog.

Once activated it is possible to use Recent Templates next time but the user is not informed that there might be extra templates added in that folder. He does not open the folder anymore.

In FME 2016 a user sees all the company templates at once, automatically updated when categories are added or altered, including the metadata, just like the installed templates.

Very functional.

Is it possible to re-add the 2016 functionality in FME 2018?
Hi @bradr,

Thank you for providing such a detailed use case on why the templates subfolder is important for your organization and how the workarounds are not suitable. As a result I have opened a new problem report: FMEENGINE-56043 specifying the need for this subfolder to be re-added and will be in touch with any updates.
Badge +10

Hi @bradr @hollyatsafe

The one and only option around that comes close to the 2016 version of using templates is to put the Templates with a Category in the folder C:\\Program Files\\FME\\res\\templates with Admin rights. The Category then will show up under Installed Templates.

Kind regards,

Krien Guijt