Question

Slower Workbench when adding FeatureWriter / FeatureReader

• 24 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +8

Is it just me or FME 2017.1 gets slower when adding a FeatureWriter or FeatureReader in the workbench?

When I mean slower, I mean everything in the software is slower. Even at the point of crashing the application.

Processing time stay normal though.

I've experimented this on several desktop, not just mine.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

To be clear, it sounds like you're experiencing slowness in Workbench itself -- not when you actually run the translation. And is it Workbench that crashes and not FME?

Anyway, this is very bad. We've not seen this to my knowledge so if you could send support@safe.com an example workspace that exhibits this, we'd be very intersted to try to duplicate it. For example, it is possible it is related to the number of feature types / attributes you're reading. Or maybe it is the format and the file path. No matter what we'd want to do better.

Thanks for letting us know.

Badge +11

I've noticed that FeatureReader and FeatureWriter transformers are slow to respond when dragging around on the canvas, and they don't always snap to the guides as well as other transformers. I've especially seen this when the transformer is resized (stretched) to not truncate the display of attributes.

Badge +3

3 years on from this post and i'm noticing this on 2020.1, selecting any other transformer on the canvas is instant, selecting or doing anything with the feature writer it takes a few seconds. I don't see any fixes in 2020.2 notes. Disable FC or reopening WS doesnt seem to help

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Any chance you could send us in your workspace? Definitely not aware of why this should be the case. We're actually working on somethings in the FeatureWriter right now (adding a Group By to it..shh) so the timing would be good to check it out. I tried a bunch of things myself and definitely can't see any problem but I suspect there's a case here we're not catching. Plus I'm on a mac so really all bets are off.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

The team advises that it is possible this slowness is related to the docked, non modal Transformer Paraemeters window. @kieranmg​ , can you advise if you have this open when it is slow? And if you hit the "x" to dismiss that non modal dialog, does the speed return?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

paramEditor

Badge +3

Yep i believe thats it. I did not notice that view open sorry. thanks a mil @Dale Lutz​ 

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Sorry for this situation -- the team has advised they've got a solution in mind. Both the FeatureReader and FeatureWriter have quite intense configuration dialogs that can be slow-ish to populate, which is what is causing this (and full marks to the team for figuring this out in the first place.)