Question

ArcSDE30 Writer GlobalID specified in mapping file but not defined in existing table

• 2 November 2015
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge +2
For some reason my FME translation is not recognizing the GlobalID column in my target feature class. I can see the GlobalID column in ArcCatalog and the DBA sees it on the table in SQL Server Studio also. Any suggestions about what could be wrong or missing?

2015-11-02 15:14:15| 12.9| 0.0|ERROR |Column 'GlobalID' of type 'guid' specified in mapping file but not defined in existing table 'DBO.T_TRANSMISSIONSTRUCTURE'

I'm using FME 2015.1.1.0 build 15515 64-bit. This is a new version for me and I was using FME 2013 SP1 previously.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
The problem occurs because SQL Server allows for Mixed Case table and attribute names and the ArcSDE30 Writer requires everything to be in UPPERCASE only. The "GlobalID" is defined in the database in mixed case and although the attribute was imported into the Writer feature class in mixed case the writer doesn't recognize this and is looking for an attribute named "GLOBALID". Changing the attribute on the Writer Feature type to "GLOBALID" from "GlobalID" (which happens as soon as you touch that attribute name in the dialog) causes a different warning but allows the translation to run to completion.

This is a known issue with the ArcSDE (SDE30) Writer. PR#11319 is in our system to better manage mixed case attribute and feature class names.

The Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE) writer handles this situation correctly.