Solved

Extremely slow workbench GUI - any optimization planned?

• 13 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hello,

FME workbench has a strong tendency to take longer and longer to perform editing tasks (NOT translation) the bigger the workspace gets.

Disclaimer: My workspace contains over 2100 transformers and I am aware that editing transformer links upstream will cause FME to recalculate downstream.

However, my frustration is due to the fact that even minor modifications to very small independent workflows in the workspace seem to trigger the same recalculation as the workbench becomes unresponsive for 5-15 seconds every time I do something. This even happens when i move a transformer without altering any workspace logic. It even happens when I move an unconnected transformer! Extremely debilitating to productivity.

Is this a known issue / any optimization planned?

Using FME Workbench on Windows x64 2016.1. Confirmed on multiple PCs.

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 13 November 2017, 19:21

View original

4 replies

Badge +1

Is it an option to split your workspace into smaller subprocesses? You can run each of them in sequence using WorkspaceRunners. This will solve your editing issue and although you will need to write temporary output per subprocess, the end result will look more clear because you do not need to go through 1 huge workspace to edit/look for certain mistakes. It is my preferred working method when I have to deal with large, complex workflows.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

If possible, could you send the workspace in to support@safe.com . We continue to work to optimize this type of scenario and would love to see what is special about yours.

Some other tricks that can be helpful is to use custom transformers (esp linked ones) to move chunks of processing out of the main workflow. Also using AttributeKeeper transformers early on to minimize the flow of unused attributes through the design flow an be helpful too.

Badge

If possible, could you send the workspace in to support@safe.com . We continue to work to optimize this type of scenario and would love to see what is special about yours.

Some other tricks that can be helpful is to use custom transformers (esp linked ones) to move chunks of processing out of the main workflow. Also using AttributeKeeper transformers early on to minimize the flow of unused attributes through the design flow an be helpful too.

Hi Dale, thanks for the suggestions. This is a legacy workspace so won't be able to change it drastically however for new workspaces I will definitely be breaking it into smaller chunks. Unfortunately I can't share the workspace. It just seems that certain inconsequential actions are causing unnecessary checks behind the scenes.
Badge

Is it an option to split your workspace into smaller subprocesses? You can run each of them in sequence using WorkspaceRunners. This will solve your editing issue and although you will need to write temporary output per subprocess, the end result will look more clear because you do not need to go through 1 huge workspace to edit/look for certain mistakes. It is my preferred working method when I have to deal with large, complex workflows.

That's what I've started doing for all new workflows. The tunnel and junction features have helped keep things clean as well!