Question

I would like to add elevations to a point shapefile using a point cloud .xyz file. Can I use the surfacedraper for this? If so, how do I get the new shapefile as output? thanks

• 18 September 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +6

5 replies

Badge +22

The surfaceDraper should work, send your point cloud to Points/Line input port and the point shapefile to the DrapeFeatures port. Set a surface tolerance and make sure that ExistingElevation is set to Replace Z.

Badge +7

The surfaceDraper should work, send your point cloud to Points/Line input port and the point shapefile to the DrapeFeatures port. Set a surface tolerance and make sure that ExistingElevation is set to Replace Z.

Hi @masonb12 and @jdh. This sounds like the right idea. If you'd like your elevation to be recorded in a separate attribute, route your DrapedFeatures output from the SurfaceDraper to a CoordinateExtractor.

addztoshape.fmw
Badge +6

Hi, I sent the output from the coordinate extractor to a shapefile but I don't see the z value in the dbf as an attribute (which is what I want). When adding a writer I am prompted to indicate which feature to write too, which is either the input shapefile or the point cloud. I chose the shapefile... but alas no elevation is showing up when I run the workspace?? I also selected replace z value in the surfacedraper but there is no z to replace. thanks!

Badge +7

Hi @masonb12. Have you included your Z attribute from the CoordinateExtractor in your shapefile writer schema? You may need to change your Attribute Definition setting, or add in the attribute manually. Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Nathan
Badge +7

Hi, I sent the output from the coordinate extractor to a shapefile but I don't see the z value in the dbf as an attribute (which is what I want). When adding a writer I am prompted to indicate which feature to write too, which is either the input shapefile or the point cloud. I chose the shapefile... but alas no elevation is showing up when I run the workspace?? I also selected replace z value in the surfacedraper but there is no z to replace. thanks!

Hi @masonb12. Have you included your Z attribute from the CoordinateExtractor in your shapefile writer schema? You may need to change your Attribute Definition setting, or add in the attribute manually. Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Nathan