Question

Contours depend on Clipping area

• 23 February 2017
  • 3 replies

I reassembled a workbench to create 3D PDFs. They contain, among other things, a surface and its contours. I run the workbench with a batch to create PDFs of different areas. While doing this I recognized that at the same geographic location the contours are not identical in different PDFs. The differences in contours depend on the clipping area, because if it's the same area, the resulting contours are identical. I use one LIDAR reader over all.

Has someone ever had the same trouble? Thanks for help! :)

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
I have a workbench set up where I create a Feature Class inside a file geodatabase. the next step is to create the metadata and load it into the same Feature Class. This all works fine.

I'm doing the exact same thing with a zipped file geodatabase and it's giving me errors.

Attempting to create table 'XXXXXXX' with 'geodb_type' set to 'geodb_metadata'. FME features of 'geodb_metadata' can only be written to existing tables. If intending to write metadata, please ensure the table already exists.  If intending to create a new table, ensure the 'geodb_type' is set to a valid table type. A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details
 I've checked all my parameters and they are the same between my zipped and non-zipped file geodatabase.

Any idea why?

Thanks
Badge +11

If your dataset ist not too big, you could create the contour lines of the whole area at once and then do the clipping in a second step.

Thank you for your answer. DaveAtSafe, after your Input about the triangulation I generated them as separate DXF Output so I had the possibility to compare. As expected they are not identical. But the differences are not just in the edges, they are all over the clipping area. The only way to improve my results is to define a smaller Surface Tolerance in the TIN Generator. At the moment I am testing the runtime that is necessary for different sizes of clipping areas and different Surface Tolerances. But as you say whkarto, I think to achieve identical results the best way would be a two step calculation.