Question

What happens to "Assembly Code" and "Assembly Code Description" within a IFC file produce from Revit

• 15 February 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello all,

I come from the BIM (Building Information Modeling) world and I have been looking for solutions to extract data from 3D models for a long time now. Recently this implied I had to try extracting data from 210 Revit models with an average file size of 200Mb. After different tries, I'm now on the FME desktop path, to which I'm fairly new to..., for testing with IFC (open source) files extracted from Revit models.

Essentially there are a few key parameter in Revit Basic sample project in IFC from Revit (I think you guys call them attributes) that I would like to extract. Unfortunately, I see those parameters in different "viewers" (Navisworks, Solibri) from the same files I'm using for FME Desktop but I have no luck with the latter. I can expose those attributes but never get any values for them when exported to excel, SQL or event the FME data inspector (although I can see their columns). For now, the attributes in questions are "Assembly Code" and "Assembly Code Description"

I tried both the IFC and RVZ readers (RVZ seems more appropriate for what I want to do) but without luck... If any of you wants to get a crack at it!

The final goal would eventually be to have 1 input (IFC from external consultants), read it and supplement those 2 parameters if they're empty (with an Excel mapping file) and finish by writing multiple IFC based on grouped "Assembly Code" values while extracting other data to SQL with date stamp.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @sdubois,

The Assembly Code and Assembly Description properties are stored on the Type template, rather than the feature itself.

FME cannot currently read the template properties, but we are planning to add this capability to FME 2018.1, which should be released mid year.

Badge

Hi @sdubois,

The Assembly Code and Assembly Description properties are stored on the Type template, rather than the feature itself.

FME cannot currently read the template properties, but we are planning to add this capability to FME 2018.1, which should be released mid year.

Hi Dave,

I posted a question similar to this a while ago and wanted to know whether in FME2018.1 and 19 (beta) whether this issue has been resolved.

Without reading the template properties, I can in no way trust the data validation we carryout. Do you know whether this feature has been implemented?

Thanks

Chris,

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Dave,

I posted a question similar to this a while ago and wanted to know whether in FME2018.1 and 19 (beta) whether this issue has been resolved.

Without reading the template properties, I can in no way trust the data validation we carryout. Do you know whether this feature has been implemented?

Thanks

Chris,

Hi @fordy,

This has been implemented in the latest FME 2018.1 release, which can be downloaded from safe.com/download.

In fme 2022.1 i canb stil not read the Assembly Code attribute. It will give it back empty.

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

In fme 2022.1 i canb stil not read the Assembly Code attribute. It will give it back empty.

Hi @bertdrenth​ could you provide us with a sample of your data so that we could reproduce your issue? A sample or screenshot of your workspace would also be helpful. Thanks!