Question

List but not a list?

• 9 September 2013
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10
I'm using an xml reader to read multiple xml files into fme, each xml file is translated as one feature with a number of attributes. In some of these files there are multiple instances of the same element and these appear to be formulated as a list when inspecting (e.g. displayed as date{0} and date{1}. However if I try and do anything with this list, e.g. explode/concatenate, I just get a no list attributes available message.

I suspect this is something to do with the fact that the attribute is not always a list element as if i read just one file that I know to have multiple instances of the same element I can manipulate lists no problem but I've got no idea how to resolve this.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10
Suspect this may be a problem for me as I've not got the latest version of 2013 installed. I can do what I want fine in 2012
Userlevel 4
Hi,

you cold use the ListExploder to check for the presence of a list. If a feature enters that does not contain the specified list, it will exit through the NOT_FOUND port.

If you think this behavior has changed since FME 2012, please notify Safe. It might be a bug that they want to correct.

David
Userlevel 1
Badge +10
User error again in the end!

I'd started initially just reading a couple of files in, none of which contained list elements. I'd changed the source xml files in the navigator panel but didn't update the reader so the list attribute wasn't listed as one of the user attributes so I wasn't able to use any of the transformers that manipulate lists.