Question

Can FME make offline maps for ArcGIS Explorer ?

• 1 November 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi.

We're looking into producing some custom maps for offline usage on an iPad, and is looking at using the ArcGIS Explorer app for this.

We do have access to ArcGIS Desktop, and to ArcGIS Online, but I would very much like to use FME to generate the map content.

I've already uploaded custom map data to ArcGIS Online with FME, but maps for offline use require some "map package" (MMPK) files to be created and uploaded.

Is this doable ? Has anyone attempted such a task with success ?

Cheers

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

No one ???

Ever get an answer to this? I too am trying to use a python snippet from Pro to create a .mmpk using a shutdown script. I'm using FME 2019.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.4. I am unsure if I have my interpreters wrong or my compatibility. This is the first time I'm running python from within FME.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Ever get an answer to this? I too am trying to use a python snippet from Pro to create a .mmpk using a shutdown script. I'm using FME 2019.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.4. I am unsure if I have my interpreters wrong or my compatibility. This is the first time I'm running python from within FME.

@nmckg, i think you have the right idea to leverage python to create the map package as FME won't be able to create them on it's own. What errors are you getting when you try running your workspace with the shutdown script?

Just a thought... you can also try using the PythonCaller instead within your workflow (possibly replacing your Writer with a FeatureWriter if you need to generate the mmpk after you write something out)?