Question

Orient and angle ellipse feature in 3D space

• 4 March 2013
  • 2 replies

I am trying to create ellipse features that are perpendicular to our drill hole trace (line feature). I have the centroid x, y, and z coordinates, the azimuth and dip data for each ellipse.

I've only gotten to the point of creating the ellipsoid at the correct location but cannot seem to orient or rotate them accordingly.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
The EllipsePropertySetter transformer (or 2DEllipseReplacer) will handle the rotation correctly in 2D space. ie it would have a vertical Z axis. If I read you right, you want to apply a dip to the ellipse. For this use the 3DRotator with a rotation around the X axis.

I tried this and it seems to do what I think you need. Hope this helps.

Mark
Thanks Mark - I didn't have the newest version of FME installed so didn't realize a 3DRotator was available now. 

It was a combination of custom 3D rotators to (1) Flip using x axis (2)Rotate using [Azimuth] and (3) Tilt using 90-[Dip].

Appears to work perfectly!

Side note, if I tried to flip the feature on the x axis using a 90deg I would get an import error (I am writing out to a dwg in FME then importing the dwg in Sketchup), so I used 89 degrees and actually used a tilt calculation of 89-[dip]