Solved

Create tiles on individual polygons

Badge
Hello everyone,

I would like to take a set of data in a grid and divide each polygon so that they are all cut up into whatever number of pieces I specify. I have tested this using the TILER transformer and it works just the way I would expect, cutting a square into 256 pieces. However, it only works if I send in one polygon to get diced by the TILER. I would like to send in 1000's tp get cut up. Currently when I send 1000's it dices the entire dataset, not each individual polygon.

I was hoping there would be a "group by" option in the tiler so that it would tile each polygon based on an attribute. That is not the case. Perhaps there should be a transformer called "Tiler Hopper" that feeds the tiler each individual polygon to get shredded.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can emulate this imaginary "Tiler Hopper"?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by matthewbrucker 13 June 2014, 07:24

View original

7 replies

Badge
I was in your shoes not too long ago. I figured out that you can "hack" the workbench into doing a GroupBy by creating a custom transformer. You can do this by right-clicking on the tiler, create custom transformer. Give it a name and open/edit the custom transformer.

From there, you want to go to the Transfomer Parameters on the left of the workbench. Open Advanced and right click on Parallel Process By. Select an attribute (you may have to expose it first in the custom tool by selecting the input and selecting the attribute that you want.) 

Now you have a tiler transformer that can do a GroupBy operation. 

Note, be careful with the Parallel Processing Level. Normally, I leave it blank/empty.

Hope this helps,

- Matt
Badge +3
Hi,

If u want to keep the parameters wich the Tiler offers, while using Matt's idead to turn it into a accumulator-type transformer.

Rightclick all the options in the TIler and choose create userparameter. You dont have to change anything, just click and accept.

Now when u click the settingsbutton on your custom_Tiler, you will have all Tiler options available:

Badge +3
Hi,

another tip.

The above mentioned custom transformer is a embedded transformer. It is only available in the workbench it is created in.

If you use "file -->save as custom transformer" (menu item) and u create your own category, the transformer will become available to any workbench you create. By putting it in your own category it will be easy to find.

It will be a "blue"' transformer rather then "green"

I do that with all my customs.
Badge +3
Hi again...

Matt wrote:

(you may have to expose it first in the custom tool by selecting the input and selecting the attribute that you want.)

You actually have to create at least one parameter on the cusomt transformer.

Only then can u choose to link to one in "parallel proces by".

Badge
Excatly right Gio... thanks for elaborating further! 
Badge
Thank you Matt and Gio for this solution and tips. The hack works perfectly. I very much appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Justin
Badge
I had the exact same issue and this post was super helpful. Thanks again Matt & Gio!