Question

UpdateDetector (FME 2018) and ChangeDetector (FME 2019) behaviour

• 19 July 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I have troubles using UpdateDetector (FME 2018) and/or ChangeDetector (FME 2019).

First, I join an xml file containing projects with a ESRI Feature Class containing land parcels using FeatureJoiner (joined on parcels ID). Result is an Esri SDE Feature Class showing only the parcels with projects from in the xml-files, including project information from the xml-files for each parcel. Xml-files will be regularly updated, and the FC must be updated consequently. Parcels geometry is not changing and doesn’t need to be compared. First, I tried UpdateDetector in FME 2018 to compare the output of FeatureJoiner with the sde fc (I use it both a reader and writer). It kind of work but the parcels with unchanged project attributes go through ‘updated’ and are rewritten/updated on the fc instead of stopping in ‘unchanged’. But either UpdateDetector ‘inserted’ and ‘deleted’ works and the end results is correct but I do not want that unchanged parcels/data are being replaced.

I tried the new ChangeDetector in FME 2019 but it gives inconsistent results. If I run the workspace again and again with the same xml, it give different results each time, with different numbers for updated, inserted and deleted, and different number of parcels in the resulting sde fc. Another problem is that when I used parcels ID as key attribute as I did in UpdateDetector, if I have a parcel with 2 different projects both gets the same attributes of one of the 2 projects. So I use Project ID as key attribute now.

-Why unchanged data goes though ‘updated in both transformer?

-Why UpdateDetector (FME 2018) and ChangeDetector (FME 2019) doesn’t give the same results?

-Why ChangeDetector (FME 2019) give different results every time I run it?

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +18

Can you check that you are not comparing the objectid. That could explain the behaviour you are describing.