Solved

Is the IFC entities are case senstive?

Badge

Greetings for the day,

Can anyone please help me to know that IFC entities are case sensitive or not.

For example, if I use “ifcproduct” or “IfcProduct” instead of “IFCPRODUCT” in .ifc file it is right or not.

Thank you.
icon

Best answer by jovitaatsafe 13 March 2019, 22:12

View original

6 replies

Badge

As far as I know, this is the case (pun intended), yes :)

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @sidhucivil5932,

Thanks for your question! I believe it is case sensitive, and the general rule seems to be camel casing, where the first letter of the word is capitalized like IfcProduct. I ran a quick test changing the casing writing out to IFC and the geometry disappears. The same output with differing casing doesn't read properly in an IFC viewer like DDS-CAD either. Here's some links to check out to read more on it:

Badge

Hi @sidhucivil5932,

Thanks for your question! I believe it is case sensitive, and the general rule seems to be camel casing, where the first letter of the word is capitalized like IfcProduct. I ran a quick test changing the casing writing out to IFC and the geometry disappears. The same output with differing casing doesn't read properly in an IFC viewer like DDS-CAD either. Here's some links to check out to read more on it:

Thank you @jovitaatsafe for your help.

I will definatly go through these links.

Badge

As far as I know, this is the case (pun intended), yes :)

Thank you @sander.

Badge

Greetings for the day,

When we create or export IFC file all the entities are in "uppercase" format.

I used IFCOPENSHELL and PYTHON to extract some of the entities from the IFC file and I got the resulting IFC file after extraction having entities in "camelcase" which is before extraction in "caps case". Why?

Also, IFC file having entities in camelcase (which I got after extraction) is not opening in viewers like SOLIBRI MODEL VIEWER and DDS-CAD.

Please help me to understand these.

Thank you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Greetings for the day,

When we create or export IFC file all the entities are in "uppercase" format.

I used IFCOPENSHELL and PYTHON to extract some of the entities from the IFC file and I got the resulting IFC file after extraction having entities in "camelcase" which is before extraction in "caps case". Why?

Also, IFC file having entities in camelcase (which I got after extraction) is not opening in viewers like SOLIBRI MODEL VIEWER and DDS-CAD.

Please help me to understand these.

Thank you.

I checked in with a colleague, and my apologies for the confusion. In your workspace in FME Workbench, it should be camelcase, but in the IFC file itself, the feature types are all uppercase.

There's a bit more information on casing from this forum here on IFC.