Question

DWG to SketchUP With Layers

• 26 February 2016
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I have a building model in dwg format. Inside the DWG it contains layers(roads, walkways, buildings etc). When I convert this to SKP it all looks great, but it merges all the layers. Is there a way I can keep the layers seperate within the model?

Thanks in advnace.

Ash

6 replies

Badge

The thing is that for SketchUp models, layer information is stored within geometry traits.

For each feature that has geometry, you need to set a trait using the GeometryPropertySetter.

Call your trait "sketchup_layer_name" and set it to the layer name (attribute value) you want.

Upon write, this should then be set correctly...

Badge

The thing is that layer information is stored as geometry traits.

For each feature that has geometry, you need to set a trait using the GeometryPropertySetter.

Call your trait "sketchup_layer_name" and set it to the layer name you want.

Upon write, this should then be correctly set...

The thing is that for SketchUp models, layer information is stored within geometry traits.

Call your trait "sketchup_layer_name" and set it to the layer name (attribute value) you want.

Upon write, this should then be set correctly...

Nice one. This was driving me crazy for something so simple.

Job done.

Hello,

This is sounds so easy but I'm afraid it is still too hard for us ;-)

We struggle with the parameters in the GeometryPropertySetter. Tried like all possible settings but our output layer is still nameless in Sketchup. Can you help us with that? Maybe with a screenshot :-)

Thanks in advance

Mario

hello

this is so easy that it is too hard for us. could you please show us a screenshoot of the parameters in the GeometryPropertySetter transformer

thanks

Badge

Hello,

This is sounds so easy but I'm afraid it is still too hard for us ;-)

We struggle with the parameters in the GeometryPropertySetter. Tried like all possible settings but our output layer is still nameless in Sketchup. Can you help us with that? Maybe with a screenshot :-)

Thanks in advance

Mario

hello

this is so easy that it is too hard for us. could you please show us a screenshoot of the parameters in the GeometryPropertySetter transformer

thanks

@mario This should do the trick:

So you need to make sure that it's set to Traits From Attributes and then you need to have an attribute on the feature that contains the layer name. Note that, as specified in the documentation, the attribute name should match the trait name you want to set. This means that the attribute should always be called sketchup_layer_name in this particular case.

Be aware that by having the Geometry Part Selection (XQuery) set to <All parts> (default), every geometry part of the feature should get that same layer trait. Maybe this is not what you want.

If you have all this set up properly, are you sure that your input is correct? What is the geometry type of the features that you write to SketchUp? I believe SketchUp never stores (triangulated) meshes for instance, so your 3D geometries should be made up of faces (i.e. MultiSurface). If you're writing meshes, maybe FME converts the meshes to faces upon writing and then the traits get lost? It's also a good idea to check the SketchUp Writer documentation for further info.

Good luck!

Hi. I am an infrequent user and using the data interoperability extention in 10.4. I'm afraid this still has me a bit stumped. Can somebody possibly post a pic of the workbench for me. I'm missing something as its not working out and maybe that pic will show me my error. (also using skp 2015 at mo, if that's relevant). It should be simple. @sander

Thanks so much.

Sam