Question

Connecting to a HANA Geodatabase

Badge

Hi, I have set up an Esri Geodatabase on HANA 2 using ArcGIS Pro and loaded data in it using Pro. I then tried to establish a reader connection to this geodatabase from FME 2018 using a connection file created in ArcGIS Pro.

The system I am trying this from has ArcGIS Desktop 10.6, ArcGIS Pro 2.1.3 and FME 2018.0.1 installed (b18310, 64-bit). The HANA jdbc driver has been installed propoerly

The error I am getting is: 'Could not open Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: -2147155361. The error message from ArcObjects is: Connections to HANA to geodatabase in SAP HANA are only supported from ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Server sites.

I can think of 2 possible reasons:

1. The 'Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb)' format doesn't support HANA-based Geodatabases (yet?). If so, is this on the FME roadmap?

2. FME is trying to establish the connection using the 32-bit ArcGIS 10.6 libraries rather than 64-bit ArcGIS Pro libraries. The reference to ArcObjects in the error message seems a indication of this. Not sure how to 'force' FME to use the 64-bit Pro binaries. I am using 64-bit FME!

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joep Luijten

6 replies

Badge +3

For your second item, I would like to ask whether or not you have the 64bit background processing installed. If not that probably would do the trick.

Looking at the error message given, I would think that FME is not allowed to connect to the database, since it is not ArcGIS Pro nor a ArcGIS Server site.

Badge

Lars,

Thanks for the feedback. 64-bit background processing has been installed as well.

I suspect the problem may be related to how the connection is established in the connection file that must be selected when creating the esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb) reader.

That connection file uses an ODBC driver and 64-bit System DSN (as described in

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/databases/connect-saphana.htm). Perhaps that causes the problem....Normally I use a java driver (ngdbc.jar) to connect from FME to a HANA database. But I cannot create a connection file in Pro that uses that java driver...

Cheers, Joep

Badge +3

Lars,

Thanks for the feedback. 64-bit background processing has been installed as well.

I suspect the problem may be related to how the connection is established in the connection file that must be selected when creating the esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb) reader.

That connection file uses an ODBC driver and 64-bit System DSN (as described in 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/databases/connect-saphana.htm). Perhaps that causes the problem....Normally I use a java driver (ngdbc.jar) to connect from FME to a HANA database. But I cannot create a connection file in Pro that uses that java driver... 

Cheers, Joep

I read through the page you mentioned and saw this 

"...Use the same name when configuring all SAP HANA ODBC clients to that 
same database. .... If you do not use the same name, you will encounter problems when publishing..."
I think you did notice that as well, but it is worth mentioning here. Have you tried using the ODBC-reader to connect to the database? I am not sure whether it will work, but it might be worth the try.

Badge

Lars,

Thanks for the feedback. 64-bit background processing has been installed as well.

I suspect the problem may be related to how the connection is established in the connection file that must be selected when creating the esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb) reader.

That connection file uses an ODBC driver and 64-bit System DSN (as described in

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/databases/connect-saphana.htm). Perhaps that causes the problem....Normally I use a java driver (ngdbc.jar) to connect from FME to a HANA database. But I cannot create a connection file in Pro that uses that java driver...

Cheers, Joep

Rather than the ODBC-reader, I can use the SAP HANA Spatial reader to connect to the tables that are part of the geodatabase. But then I bypass that's in fact a geodatabase. OK for reading from feature tables but not the best way to write...

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I believe when this was tested successfully at Safe the basic steps were as follows:

- install and configure SAP HANA client 64 bit ODBC driver V2.0 (July 2017)

- added the client to the path

- configure the ODBC data source name

- connect to the data source in ArcGIS Pro Pro 2.1using "SAP HANA" and the data source name

- the above step will create a connection file that can be used in FME's Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb) reader

I'll follow-up in more details with @gisarchitect in support and we will report back here

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

After some investigation at Safe by @rahulsharma here is a summary of the issue and the resolution.

When an ESRI Geodatabase for SAP HANA is generated by ArcGIS Pro 2.1 FME cannot read it using ArcGIS Server (based ArcObjects).

Solution:

With FME Desktop 2021.x and newer, set Esri ArcGIS Compatability

In workspace navigator windows.

Workspace Parameters --> Translation --> Esri ArcGIS Compatibility

Set this value to Esri ArcGIS Pro