Question

Problems with the new clipper

Badge +1
I have previously been using the Clipper transformer a lot and was found of the 4 output groups: Inside, Outside, Inside clipper and outside clipper.

They have now been replaced by Inside and Outside, and an option to select what to do about the "Clippees on Clipper Boundary".

The "Clippees on Clipper Boundary" has three options: Treat as Inside, Treat as Outside and Treat as Inside and Outside.

If I want the clippees on the boundary inside the clipper in one group (as in the old clipper) and the clippees on the boundary outside the clipper in one group, how do I do that?

Currently the clippees on the boundary inside goes with the insides and the clippees on the boundary outside goes with the outside. If I change the "Clippees on Clipper Boundary" option, nothing changes.

Am I dealing with both reduced functionality and a bug here?

Regards, Casper

4 replies

Badge
I don't know why safe changed this transformer since I found the four outputports quite useful as well. However the Parameter "Clipped Indicator Attribute" says if your attribute has been clipped or not. Default, this attribute is called _clipped. So to find your clipped features at the border place a tester behind the outside and the inside port and test if _clipped is "yes".
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi -- we made the call to simplify the ports because our analysis was that most common uses were to not distinguish between what was clipped and not -- users just wanted what was inside vs outside -- and the old way made everyone have to drag an extra line...maybe the wrong call, but that was the thinking.

Anyway, Simon is right that there was no change in functionality and that there is an indicator that can be examined to recreate the clipped + (inside or outside).  The setting about what to do on the boundary did not change at all between old FME and new.
Badge
Yes I feel that definitively It  was the wrong call. Now I have to add another additional tester to get the clipped ones. It really is confusing when transformers are changed for no apparent reason and additionally made worse than before.
Badge
..and additionally I can't get the Group by working! I have a data set of polygons which I use as a clipper that has a code and the clippees (also polygons) using the same codes both set as "Group by" attributes. It has no effect on the clipper. I understand it should use only clipping features having the same code as the clippee features for clipping them. In my cas all ends up in the Outside port (with clipped indicator attribute "no", even if they clip each other.