Solved

FME Server SMTP on EC2

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I'm trying to use the built-in SMTP of an FME Server running on EC2 but I can't seem to get it to work. I've opened port 25 in the EC2 security group and there's, as far as I can tell, nothing else using that port. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by david_r 3 October 2018, 14:59

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi Hans, it's probably way too late for you, but I'll post this here for anybody else stumbling upon the same issue.

In addition to opening port 25 in the AWS security group, you'll have to manually add an inbound rule in the Windows firewall on your EC2 instance. Here's from Windows 10:

Tested with EC2 instances running Windows and FME Server 2018.1.

Userlevel 4

Hi Hans, it's probably way too late for you, but I'll post this here for anybody else stumbling upon the same issue.

In addition to opening port 25 in the AWS security group, you'll have to manually add an inbound rule in the Windows firewall on your EC2 instance. Here's from Windows 10:

I'll just add that for production purposes you may want to be a bit more specific who and how you'll allow access to port 25, but for e.g. training and test purposes the above should be ok.
Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Thanks David, yes, a bit too late for that course back in june but good to know for future reference.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hello,

I encountered a similar problem.

I have installed FME Server 2018.1.1.1 into Linux (CentOS 7) managed by AWS EC2.

The FME Server is working fine but the built-in SMTP - an Email (SMTP) Publisher won't receive mails.

According to relevant documentation, the port number for receiving mails is 7125 on Linux, so I have opened it through AWS settings. "telnet" from other machine reaches the SMTP server via 7125 port, so I think the port is opened definitely. 

# telnet <domain> 7125
Trying **.***.***.***...
Connected to <domain>.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ip-***-**-**-**.ap-northeast-1.compute.internal ESMTP SubEthaSMTP 3.1.7

Is there any other settings required to get the built-in SMTP work?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hello,

I encountered a similar problem.

I have installed FME Server 2018.1.1.1 into Linux (CentOS 7) managed by AWS EC2.

The FME Server is working fine but the built-in SMTP - an Email (SMTP) Publisher won't receive mails.

According to relevant documentation, the port number for receiving mails is 7125 on Linux, so I have opened it through AWS settings. "telnet" from other machine reaches the SMTP server via 7125 port, so I think the port is opened definitely. 

# telnet <domain> 7125
Trying **.***.***.***...
Connected to <domain>.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ip-***-**-**-**.ap-northeast-1.compute.internal ESMTP SubEthaSMTP 3.1.7

Is there any other settings required to get the built-in SMTP work?

I found a solution.

1. Open port 25 (AWS setting).
  2. Edit the "postfix" configuration file (/exc/postfix/main.cf) to relay mails incoming via port 25 to localhost:1725.
  3. Restart postfix.

Since the built-in SMTP server of FME Server is listening port 1725 by default on Linux, emails incoming via port 25 will be transferred to the built-in SMTP server by postfix with the configuration above.

Please inform me if you know a more sophisticated way.

Just in case someone searches on this topic in the future. AWS blocks SMTP traffic by default now (started 2020) and you have to apply for an exemption. In our case it took about 15 minutes to get it. https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/faqs/#Are_there_any_limitations_in_sending_email_from_EC2_instances