Question

Running a workspace to completion - repeat with each line of a spreadsheet

• 8 October 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

I have a workspace that i want to develop to automate/batch process. The basic idea of the workspace is to take a specific grid tile with an ID, perform an upstream trace, calculate associated statistics, and then outputs spatial elements and an associated statistics spreadsheet.

What i want to be able to do is feed the workspace a list of grid IDs, and the workspace run to completion for EACH grid. This is required as each grid has to be considered independently from the others, even though their upstream traces may overlap.

I assume this can be achieved with a combination of dataset fanouts and workspace runners, but i cant figure out how to feed spreadsheet rows one at a time.

Thank you!

1 reply

Badge +22

The worker workspace should have parameters for the grid ID and the output directory (it's generally faster to avoid dataset fanouts if you can).

The controller workspace should read in the spreadsheet, get the Grid ID, determine the output directory for that grid tile (presumably it has the grid iD in the path, or it can be an additional column in the spreadsheet) and then connect to a workspaceRunner set to the worker workspace with the parameters coming from the attributes of the trigger features.

You will end up with the worker workspace run once for each row of the spreadsheet.