Question

How to dynamically read excel sheets?

• 7 December 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

I have the values of an attribute which corresponds to the names of sheets of an excel file. In other words, the attribute of interest has the values attrib1, attrib2, ..., attribn that also corresponds to the sheet tab names of another excel file.

What I would like to do is to be able to dynamically read the sheet tab names of the excel file based on the values attrib1, attrib2, ... attribn that varies per feature. Those values are unique per feature so I won't need to read the same excel sheet twice.

Any ideas?

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

If you use a feature reader to read the excel file, you can use the attribute containing your sheet names as the feature type to read

Badge +7

If you use a feature reader to read the excel file, you can use the attribute containing your sheet names as the feature type to read

HI @egomm

Not quite sure that I understand what you are saying.

Please could you elborate? May be wiith an example.

Badge +7

Looking for an alternative, is there a way to read the sheet name as parameter in an excel reader?

I would like to use a workspace runner and pass the attribute value (which corresponds to the sheet name) as a parameter to the second workspace used for reading the excel file.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21
HI @egomm

Not quite sure that I understand what you are saying.

Please could you elborate? May be wiith an example.

read-named-sheets.fmwt

A simplified example