Question

Clip several LAS files

• 8 August 2013
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I am using FME 2013 to clip several  LAS files without overlap (336), within a shapefile with 360 regular squares with unique Block_ID.   I have fixed the problem of  "no memory" by running the "Clipper " transformer within groups "Block_ID" and with Parallel processing " level =  moderate".

The input on the clipper is the shapefile with the 360 squares and the 1 big LAS files because I use a Pointcloud combiner before the Clipper and after the clipper.   By the way, I am running FME 2013- 64 bits with OS 64 bits.

I didn't understood why I didn't got an output. I would expect to have as output 360 LAS files. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks,

Cecília

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi Cecilia,

Are you also making use of the point cloud coercer?

btw using the clippers first option can also improve memory related issues.

Hope this helps
Hi Itay,

I am not using the point cloud coercer.

Ok I can try to use the clipper as a first option.

But don't I need to use a PointCloud Combiner before the clipper?

Thanks!

br,

Cecília
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi Cecilia,

If you combime the point clouds into one, I dont think you will gain any extra advantage from the group by setting, since the combined point cloud will be use for each group (that is if you set the accumulate attributes to yes on the point cloud combiner).

• So read your las files, feed them into a point cloud coercer (to turn them into points) and as clippees in the clipper. (make sure the block_id is available, if it is the name then you can expose the fme_basename)
  • Read the shape and use it as the clipper.
  • Make sure that the shape reader is on top of the las reader, in the navigator window.
  • Set the clipper type to clippers first and group by to block_id, also use the parallel processing option.
Hope this helps