Question

How to store folder connection credential within writter properties

• 13 December 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I'm hoping to use FME to replicate from our internal ESRI SDE (i.e. the FMW running as scheduled task sitting on our internal server) to a geodatabase that sits on a cloud server. To connect to the folder for the geodatabase I need to enter a Username and Password. As the task scheduler runs when I'm logged off the server the credentials need to be stored with the FMW rather than just a mapped network drive on Windows. Has anyone had any experience connecting to remote folders via FME or storing username/passwords within the writer properties? Some guidance would be great. I'm fairly new to FME.

Thank you :)

4 replies

Userlevel 4

I suspect that isn't possible. You should probably see with your IT services about running FME as a domain user that has direct access to the shared folder.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Instead of writing directly to the cloud server you could write locally and use something to copy/push the data to there. eg write with a FeatureWriter then use the HTTPCaller to upload the file using its authentication parameters. Not sure if you can use something like file://host/path in the HTTPCaller, but it's worth a try.

Basically the Geodatabase writer might not have authentication parameters, but other cloud based transformers do.

Otherwise I'd try what David suggested about running FME as a domain user.

Badge

thank you, will try your suggestion @Mark2AtSafe. Thanks also @david_r, unfortunatly in this instance, our network admin guys have advised that direct access to that folder is not possible as it is under a different domain.

Userlevel 4

Would setting up an SFTP server on the other end be a possible solution?