Solved

Aggregate attributes as comma delimited list from intersecting objects

Folks,

I have a series of points in one MI table and intersecting lines in another table in a telco network. I need to test each point and get all of the intersecting lines. The result being the ID of the point in one field and a comma delimited list of the IDs of all the intersecting polylines.

For other work in this task I've been successfully using SpatialFilters that work well for 1:1 but 1:N where the N's need to be aggregated into a single result seems to be evading me.

I don't need a spatial result for this process.

Your advice appreciated.

icon

Best answer by takashi 8 May 2017, 11:18

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi @andyew, does every point match the end node(s) of one or more line belonging to the network? Or a point could be on a line but not match any node?

Hi @andyew, does every point match the end node(s) of one or more line belonging to the network? Or a point could be on a line but not match any node?

Thanks for asking @takashi the point to polyline relationship is N:N. The matches are endpoints only. So node only appear at a start or an end of a polyline. However I think I solved my own problem. I'll record an answer.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
OK. In the condition, I think a possible way is: transform every line to its start/end points with two Snippers (or CoordinateRemovers), and then apply SpatialRelator and ListConcatenator.

I think I solved my own problem. To get the result I was after I used a SpatialFilter to determined the matches between point and polyline with the points a the Filter and the Polylines as the Candidiate. I then passed the result to an AttributeManager to return only the PointID and the PolylineID I then passed that result to an Aggregator and aggregated the result by Grouping on the PointID. The Aggregator has an Accumulator that produces a comma delimted (or any delimited) result from any other field. Since I need a record for every point with the polylineIDs aggregated this was the easiest result.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I think I solved my own problem. To get the result I was after I used a SpatialFilter to determined the matches between point and polyline with the points a the Filter and the Polylines as the Candidiate. I then passed the result to an AttributeManager to return only the PointID and the PolylineID I then passed that result to an Aggregator and aggregated the result by Grouping on the PointID. The Aggregator has an Accumulator that produces a comma delimted (or any delimited) result from any other field. Since I need a record for every point with the polylineIDs aggregated this was the easiest result.

It should work as expected if the relationship of point to line was 1:N, but just be aware that it may not be perfect if the relationship could be N:N.

It should work as expected if the relationship of point to line was 1:N, but just be aware that it may not be perfect if the relationship could be N:N.

Interesting @takashi Each of the points has a uniqueID. Would it not follow that if I have 5 points in the same location and two polylines starting\\terminating at this same group of points, wouldn't the Aggregator deal with each pointID one at a time and match with the two polylines? eg 5 records (one for each point), each with same two comma delimited PolylineIDs

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

If 5 points were on the same location, the SpatialFilter merges the PointID of any one (probably the one that arrived first) of the 5 points to every matched candidate. Then, you will get just a single record with a single PointID for the location, and the rest 4 PointID will be lost.

This workspace demonstrates the issue on N:N and a workaround using the SpatialRelator.

spatialfilter-vs-spatialrelator.fmw (FME 2017.0.1.0)
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

This workspace demonstrates the issue on N:N and a workaround using the SpatialRelator.

If 5 points were on the same location, the SpatialFilter merges the PointID of any one (probably the one that arrived first) of the 5 points to every matched candidate. Then, you will get just a single record with a single PointID for the location, and the rest 4 PointID will be lost.

Point taken @takashi. I'll adapt my workspace to the Realtor example. Can you post this as an actual answer and I'll accept it. Thanks again for your invaluable help.

@takashi I still agree with this approach but I'm not getting the complete answer. I'm sure it's some sort of filtering that need to be done I'm just to clear on where I would implement it.

I have 6500 points connected to the SpatialRealtor as Requestor. I have 200 polylines connected to the SpatialRealtor as Supplier. The problem is I'm getting 6500 results with 6000 points WITHOUT association with a polyline end. My expectation was this would act somewhat like LEFT JOIN in SQL returning only those records that intersect. This is acting like a FULL JOIN even when there is no actual match. I'm sure there's a way to limit the result to only those points that actually intersect the polyline ends.

@takashi I still agree with this approach but I'm not getting the complete answer. I'm sure it's some sort of filtering that need to be done I'm just to clear on where I would implement it.

I have 6500 points connected to the SpatialRealtor as Requestor. I have 200 polylines connected to the SpatialRealtor as Supplier. The problem is I'm getting 6500 results with 6000 points WITHOUT association with a polyline end. My expectation was this would act somewhat like LEFT JOIN in SQL returning only those records that intersect. This is acting like a FULL JOIN even when there is no actual match. I'm sure there's a way to limit the result to only those points that actually intersect the polyline ends.

@takashi I note from reading this performance of the SpatialRealtor in by design. All Requestors are passed through. If I can filter out all the records that have NO _relationships{}.id I should be good.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

The SpatialRelator doesn't filter features as you have observed.

The transformer adds Related Suppliers Count Attribute (called "_related_candidates" by default) to every output feature, so you can test if the _releted_candidates is greater than 0 to filter out the points that aren't spatially related to any supplier, if necessary.

Alternatively, as you mentioned, testing if _relationships{0}.id has a value is also a possible way.