Solved

DBF Writer: DBF file exceeds maximum size of 2 GB

• 12 June 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge

HI,

my translation is always unsuccessful due to: DBF Writer: DBF file exceeds maximum size of 2 GB.

yes, it is so big, but I need to translate it and a few files which are even bigger. Shape into shape.

Any ideas?

thanks

icon

Best answer by david_r 12 June 2019, 09:38

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4

The DBF file format, which is used as part of the Shape format specification, is limited to max. 2GB per file.

You may want to consider using a fanout to split the data into several output files.

Badge

The DBF file format, which is used as part of the Shape format specification, is limited to max. 2GB per file.

You may want to consider using a fanout to split the data into several output files.

Hi @david_r!

thanks for your reply. It has worked.

Just a litte sad, because I need to split into many folders-which I do not need. anyway it helped... thanks

Userlevel 4

Hi @david_r!

Just a litte sad, because I need to split into many folders-which I do not need. anyway it helped... thanks

Yes, it's unfortunate, but also fairly common with these very old file formats.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi @david_r!

Just a quick add-on: you don't need to have the output in different folders, you can also have one folder with separate shapefiles. In that case you need to set the name of the output shapefile featuretype to something that depends on an attribute. It's a bit confusing as it is technically a fanout (what @david_r referred to) but it's not called a fanout anymore.

Badge

Just a quick add-on: you don't need to have the output in different folders, you can also have one folder with separate shapefiles. In that case you need to set the name of the output shapefile featuretype to something that depends on an attribute. It's a bit confusing as it is technically a fanout (what @david_r referred to) but it's not called a fanout anymore.

Hi,

actualy I do not need to have a separate folders, the separated shapes are also ok. How can I set it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi,

actualy I do not need to have a separate folders, the separated shapes are also ok. How can I set it?

You can set the shapefile name (in the feature type properties) to an attribute value. So for every unique attribute value you'll get a new shapefile.

Badge

You can set the shapefile name (in the feature type properties) to an attribute value. So for every unique attribute value you'll get a new shapefile.

Aah, all right! Thanks a lot!