Question

How to start a desktop workspace from server?

• 19 November 2018
  • 3 replies

I am using FME Server 2018 and FME Desktop2018. My goal is to get informed and run a workspace, if a change was made in a specific directory. The FME Server has no internet connection, so I need another solution than the email-notification. My plan ist to run a directory watch by the FME Server and trigger a workspace to start running on my FME Desktop, which opens a command line window with a message inside.

The other workspace contains a geocoder transformer, so an internet connection is needed. As I mentioned the server has no connection to the internet, so it definitely has to be executed on the FME Desktop.

Is it possible to run a workspace with FME Desktop, initiated by the FME Server?

I thought I could add a network-based resource to get access to the .fmw, but in the subscription options I am only able to add workspaces stored in the repositories.

Any ideas?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

You can run FME Desktop, using the SystsemCaller transformer from a workspace on FME Server.

The SystemCaller can run a batch file running the command line for FME Desktop (e.g. fme.exe myworkspace.fmw).

Hope this helps.

You can run FME Desktop, using the SystsemCaller transformer from a workspace on FME Server.

The SystemCaller can run a batch file running the command line for FME Desktop (e.g. fme.exe myworkspace.fmw).

Hope this helps.

On FME Desktop it works by using your solution, but after uploading it to the server the process runs and doesn't get to an end :(

Hope this helps.

Note: I granted a full access permission to the server and used the UNC-path to the .bat