Question

Writing Autocad region object (FME 2018 beta)

• 9 January 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

I've heard very good news that FME can now read/write autocad regions and I am trying to test it using FME 2018 Beta. I have no problem to read an autocad_region however after several attempts I am not able to write an autocad region. I’ve already tried creating donuts, area or surface in a workspace and writing it to a .dwg file as a region but each time FME creates an autocad_block instead and not a region. If anybody was successfully able to write a region, I will be glad if I can have a simple example/guide on this subject.

Many thanks

Regards,

Hani

3 replies

Badge +3

regions are surface objects. You can convert the polygons using a facereplacer.

not tried in fme2018 beta though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @hzahiri,

The DWGStyler now has the option to create Autocad Regions. It is under the Areas section (see below).

In a simple test I created a box object with the creator, used the DWGStyler with the below settings and then wrote out using the RealDWG writer. I was able to confirm in AutoCAD that a region was created.

Perhaps your region is a little more complex which may require some tweaking. Are you able to share a sample of what you're working on or what you want to turn a region?

Badge

Hi

Matt and Gio, many thanks for your replies.

@MattAtSafe, I've tried your solution and it works for RealDWG writer however what I want is writing to a DWG. in case of DWG, I've still a block instead of a region. You may find my test case and what I am expecting as attachments. Again thanks for your help.

Regards,

Hani

test-region.dwg

test-region-result.dwg