Question

Converting new format to DWG

• 13 March 2018
  • 3 replies

I want to read 3D geometry definitions from a new file format not supported by FME line by line, and create 3D AutoCAD geometry. For example, I have geometry definitions for cone, base center, point coordinate, etc. Is there an example of how to read the file and pass the input to the DWG writer?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @amyi,

Which format do you need to read?

Could you share us the file?

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi @danilo_fme,

Unfortunately the file type and contents are proprietary. With the many examples of FME readers and writers I’m hoping there is one or more that will show the mechanics of how to read geometry object definitions from an organized text file, and then use the data to construct DWG geometry. For example the input file may look something like this:

GroupName = GroupNameString (to create an AutoCAD Layer or use it if it already exists)

NewObjectName = ObjectNameString (to create an AutoCAD Block of the following objects)

NumberOfGeomItemsToFollow = 2

GeomItemNumber = 1

GeometryType = GeomType (for example, Cone, elliptical cone, cylinder, elliptical cylinder, revolve, sphere, and partial or complete torus 3D solids. These will also be surface boundary types)

Parameters = param1, param2, Param3, etc. (as appropriate for the GeomType)

GeomItemNumber = 2

GeometryType = GeomType

Parameters = param1, param2, Param3, etc.

GroupName = GroupNameString

NewObjectName = ObjectNameString (a new Block name)

NumberOfGeomItemsToFollow = 3 etc.

I realize mapping of the various parameters will need to be done between the source and the DWG geometry. But I can accommodate that in the source text file once we know better how to read the data and apply it to AutoCAD geometry in a workbench. I really appreciate any guidance you or others can provide for this.

Thank you,

Amy

Badge

Hi all. Amy has a great question. I can think of many purposes such an ability could be applied to.

Does anyone know of any examples reading text files to create 3D DWG geometry?