Question

Rulebased spatial distribution of points

• 18 December 2017
  • 1 reply

Badge +14
  • Contributor
  • 120 replies

I need to organise a number of point objects that represent various built features like fireplaces, campsites and such. In their raw format the points are stacked on top of each other and we have so far arranged them in a nice group and then moved that somewhere appropriate, like over a lake or so. Finaly we ad a pointer that poins to the actual location. I would like to see if it would be posible to use FME to automate part of this process.

I picture a system where points that are within a certain distance from each other get grouped together and then placed in a grid of 2, 3 or 4. The final symbols are in set size so we know the distance between the points for the scales we work in. The main goal here is to align the final symbols nicesly verticaly and horisontaly. Is there a way to do this?

In the next step I would like to ad a pointer that points to midpoint of the point cluster above. What it the recomended method to do this?

1 reply

Badge +22

Assuming you have a groupID, I would probably use an aggregator with group by on the points, so you can get the number of icons in a group, use that to determine the grid size (tester/testfilter), deagregate the group and use the partnumber combined with grid size to determine the relative placement. Use the Offsetter to actually move the points.