Question

Create cross section of 3d object

• 31 October 2013
  • 5 replies

Greetings,

I need to process some 3d objects to obtain cross sectional slices from them so that I can quantify how much area and void exists in the cross section.  The input object is in .OBJ format.  Has anyone performed such an operation with FEME, and if so could you help me understand the proper workflow? I have little FME experience and am struggling to determine the tools and steps required for this analysis.  I have numerous cube shaped objects to process and need to develop a workspace that can process new objects as needed.

Thanks for your attention...

Bill

5 replies

Badge +3
Hi,

Converting your objects to points or lines and use the surface modeler to create contours might be a way to get the crossections.

Gio,  Thanks for the reponse but I'm not sure if this would owrk.   My object is a cube much like a block of swiss sheese, solid and void space.  The block has some nodes connected by shafts running through the "solid" part of the object.  The digital file though basically has a mesh representing teh walls of the nodes and shafts but there are some regaions that are not "closed"  because the shafts run out the sides of the cube.  Makes for an interesting problem though.  I am using MeshLab to create "closed" features but then need a way to slice the cube along various planes so that we can examine the size and shape of the shafts and nodes.

Hope this make s the situation a bit more clear.

Bill

Badge
Bill,

I haven't done this but one thing that springs to mind is making a "skinny" extrusion to represent your plane (say 1mm thick). Use this as the Clippee against your solid...

You could then deaggrgate the result, and pull out the "top" faces to be the cross-section polygons.

Cheers

AlanK
Badge +3
Clipper is supposed to be able to clip 3d but, at least the 2012sp2 fme does not recognize the clipper.

I tried al kinds of solids, does'nt matter weither they are simple blocks or not, it wont work. It doest see the 3d object comming in the clipper port.

Badge
I'm using 2013 SP2 so I'm not sure... but you might try using a GeometryCoercer to BrepSolid before entering the Clipper.