Solved

Does FME server upgrade requires workbench/workspace to be upgraded as well?

Badge +1

Hi All,

We have a plan to upgrade FME server from 2016 to 2019. Do I need to also upgrade workbench from 216 to 2019? or this is only optional, and If I don't upgrade the workbench will there be any issues related to compatibility of versions between workbench and FME server?

There are more than 75+ workbenches and it will require 1000 of Transformer/reader/writer to be upgraded and tested.

What is the best practice in above case?

Please share your thoughts , suggestion and experience.

Thanks

Zubair

icon

Best answer by takashi 31 May 2019, 17:33

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

It's not required, but I would personally recommend you to install FME Desktop 2019 too so that you can enjoy the full power of FME Server 2019.

Basically newer version of FME Desktop can run the workspaces created with an older version of FME Desktop. Even if you upgraded FME Deskop, you don't need to update existing workspaces.

You can also install two or more versions into the same machine and use one depending on the situation. In fact, I have FME Desktop from 2014 to 2019 installations in my machine, in order to support my clients.

Badge +22

FME maintains backwards compatibility, so a workspace authored in FME 2016 will run on FME2019. However there are some upgrades that can effect behaviour of transformers, even if the transformer has not been upgraded.

The one that comes to mind is the Bufferer with negative values, when the buffer is larger than the feature. The earlier version dropped collapsed features, the later version kept them with a null geometry.

I suggest running the workspaces with the same data on both 2016 and 2019 and then comparing the results to make sure they are identical.

Only in cases where there is a difference is results do you need to investigate and upgrade the workspace.
Badge +1

It's not required, but I would personally recommend you to install FME Desktop 2019 too so that you can enjoy the full power of FME Server 2019.

Basically newer version of FME Desktop can run the workspaces created with an older version of FME Desktop. Even if you upgraded FME Deskop, you don't need to update existing workspaces.

You can also install two or more versions into the same machine and use one depending on the situation. In fact, I have FME Desktop from 2014 to 2019 installations in my machine, in order to support my clients.

Thanks Takashi for your answer,

I aware what your are saying related to Desktop as I also have different version of FME on my machine and I will definitely have 2019.

My question is specifically for FME Server upgrade. In any of the documents it is not mentioned to upgrade workbench residing on the server. My question is will my server work the same way or I will have issues?

Regards

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

FME engine itself is common to FME Desktop and FME Server. FME Desktop 2019 and FME Server 2019 both can run workspaces created with an older version of FME Desktop.

Badge +1

Hi @takashi

During the upgrade process of FME server restoring configuration file to 2019 to a different server, there are many workspaces that have lots of FMEserverJobSubmitter transformer pointing to old fme server (old server url) , can this be changed without opening the workbench. I am looking for a quicker option than manually opening and changing them.

Many Thanks

Zubair

Badge +16

Hi @takashi

During the upgrade process of FME server restoring configuration file to 2019 to a different server, there are many workspaces that have lots of FMEserverJobSubmitter transformer pointing to old fme server (old server url) , can this be changed without opening the workbench. I am looking for a quicker option than manually opening and changing them.

Many Thanks

Zubair

Hi @zubairsm,

You can try to do something fancy like reading the workspaces with the FME Workspace (FMW) reader and then updating the values of the FMEserverJobSubmitter transformer, but this can potentially corrupt the workspaces.

I believe that manually opening the workspaces and changing the values is the safest way, something I have done with a couple of hunderd workspaces...and if you are already edititng the workspaces you might aswell introduce published parameters in the FMEserverJobSubmitter transformer or even better web connections to have more flexibility in the future.

Hope this helps,

Itay

Badge +1

Hi @zubairsm,

You can try to do something fancy like reading the workspaces with the FME Workspace (FMW) reader and then updating the values of the FMEserverJobSubmitter transformer, but this can potentially corrupt the workspaces.

I believe that manually opening the workspaces and changing the values is the safest way, something I have done with a couple of hunderd workspaces...and if you are already edititng the workspaces you might aswell introduce published parameters in the FMEserverJobSubmitter transformer or even better web connections to have more flexibility in the future.

Hope this helps,

Itay

Thanks itay for your prompt reply. I was planning to not this manually but looks like that's the better the option.