Question

SQL DB is adding extra vertices to geojson files

• 29 April 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello all,

I have added shapefiles to an Azure DB. To add the geometry into the database, I used the Geometry Extractor set to GeoJSON. After reviewing the geometry coordinate list within the Azure DB against the GeometryExtractor geometry populated field, the DB geometry field has additional vertices. This is mostly occurring with polygons that have curves. I'm not sure why this is occurring. Has anyone run into this before?

This is causing a problem when checking for changes. As now some polygons are slightly off.

Thanks! David

1 reply

@david_prosack88 The problem is probably occurring because geoJSON does not support curved geometries. Simple geometry in geoJSON is stored as a series of points. The workbench will handle this automatically for you by stroking curves into a series of straight lines. The setting for how it does so, namely the "resolution", can be altered in the fme options -> workspace defaults menu.

If you need to store the data with the curve fully intact and described, geoJSON is not the format for you.