Question

Transferring list of input files from one workspace to another ?

• 26 November 2013
  • 8 replies

Badge
Hi,

I have the task of setting up a flexible transformation, first in workbench, later on an FME Server.

The input is a list of file paths from a view in an Oracle database, and based on a "category number" for each file, the relevant files of a given category should be converted by one out of multiple distinct workspaces. I.e. a 1-n "master-slaves" setup.

Note that the "features" in the "master" workspace is non-geom records from a alphanumeric view. I.e. not the features that need to be processed in the "slave" workspaces.

I have the master workspace setup, reading the Oracle list, splitting the output based on the category number, collecting the path names into a list, concatenating this into a semicolon separated text, and transferring this concatenated text as a single feature/attribute to a workspacerunner. I'm applying the separated text parameter to the source parameter of the input dataset in the called "slave" workspace.

But when I run the "master" workspace, it looks like the "slave" workspaces aren't run. And no output is produced by them.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, and I fear the I'm utilizing a couple of wrong assumptions. So here are a couple of basic questions to start with:

- Will the WorkspaceRunner run once for each submitted feature (non-geom) ?

- Will the WorkspaceRunner transfer texts to source input path lists in the called workspace, and will they be recognized as input specs in the called workspace ?

- How should a path name list be separated and escaped to work ?

Cheers.

8 replies

Badge
The files to be converted as DGN files, by the way.
Userlevel 4
Hi,

the WorkspaceRunner will indeed be called once for every feature that enters.

If your master workspace have a list of files to process you will have to convert it to a string before passing it on to the child workspace's published parameter. The format is usually

"filename"<space>"filename"<space>"filename"...etc

You do not need to escape the paths as long as you have double quotation marks around each item, like above.

Just be aware that if you have a very large number of files to process, the resulting string may be too long to pass as a published parameter. If that is the case, consider saving the list of files to a temporary text file and then passing that filename to the next workspace.

To debug this functionality consult the log files, they are indespensable.

David
Badge
I just re-visited an example from April 2008 by Mark Ireland ("Polygon Building"). It shows a parameter with a value of "&path_windows".

Is this a hidden string concatenator, and is this still relevant and the way to do it in a 2013 version ?

Besides, it uses a "PATH reader" which I cannot find in 2013.

Badge
Thanks David,

Is "<space>" a valid value for the separator ?

Userlevel 4
Hi,

you must replace <space> with a proper space character.

The reader in question is surely the "Directory and File Pathnames" Reader.

I do not know what the "&path_window" is.

David
Badge
Hello David,

I have this specific portion of my processing located inside a embedded/custom transformer, and wanted the path separator as a published argument. This unfortunately doesn't work with a space character, so I had to revert to hardcoding it. That does work.

I found that one obstruction I was facing was the licensing. Each workspace requires a separate license, and I was running on a floating license, which then didn't allow me to start the other workspace.

As I was going to upload it to a FME Server eventually, I did that, and changed my WorkspaceRunner til a JobSubmitter. Unfortunately the job exits with an error, which I haven't had a chance to investigate, but at least it looks like the arguments are getting transferred correctly :-)

The total request string is almost 17k long, and the longest path argument is almost 5000 characters long. Is either of these a problem ?

Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 4
Hi,

I don't know the hard limits when using the JobSubmitter, but in general terms I find 17K quite a lot.

You'll either have to experiment (e.g. by trying with just one or two file paths) or ask Safe support if you need a concrete answer, I think.

David
Badge
Thanks David,

I've submitted a support ticket about the possible limitations and explanation of the error.

Quite strange error response too: resultSucces=false but serviceSucces=true.