Solved

Adding a point cloud on top of another point cloud

• 19 August 2016
  • 3 replies

Hi

I want to add a point cloud on top of another point cloud (in Z) but I can't figure out a good way to do it.

I got a big point cloud (over 7,000,000,000 points) of a city and then I got a point cloud with a lot of pillars I want to place on roofs in the city point cloud. The pillar point cloud is aligned in X and Y but the Z value is way off so the pillars ends up inside or under the roofs.

Is there any way to read the roofs Z value and then set the pillars Z value to the specific roof Z, or is there a better way to solve this?

Thanks

Philip

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 21 August 2016, 07:25

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

First blush -- PointCloudMerger might be able to do this nicely. So long as the X/Y values are the same in both point clouds, or you are okay with rounding the X/Y values (via PointCloudExpressionEvaluator) to make them "the same" -- once they are, then you can do tricks with the merger to transfer values from one cloud to another.

First blush -- PointCloudMerger might be able to do this nicely. So long as the X/Y values are the same in both point clouds, or you are okay with rounding the X/Y values (via PointCloudExpressionEvaluator) to make them "the same" -- once they are, then you can do tricks with the merger to transfer values from one cloud to another.

Yes, I managed to isolate the correct points with the PointCloudMerger and sorted out the points with correct Z value and added it to the pillars. It works now.

Thank you!

Philip

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Yes, I managed to isolate the correct points with the PointCloudMerger and sorted out the points with correct Z value and added it to the pillars. It works now.

Thank you!

Philip

Great to hear. PointCloudMerger, according to @dmitribagh, is often underestimated in terms of its amazing performance, power, and applicability. A true undersung hero in the FME transformer choir.