Question

How to use the datasets in the workspace in a "PythonCreator" transformer?

• 27 August 2018
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I have 2 datasets in my workspace and I want to use "PythonCreator" transformer to create a new feature base on those datasets in my workspace but I don't know how to use workspace datasets in "PythonCreator" transformer. Could you help me?

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @nafise, if FME supports the data format, you could use the FMEUniversalReader class from FME Objects Python API to implement to read features from a dataset.

In personal opinion, however, generally there is no advantage to do so, since using the API class is equivalent to use a regular FME reader. Further, using a regular reader (or the FeatureReader transformer) would be much easier and also much more robust.

Why do you need to use the PythonCreator to read features from the datasets?

Hi @nafise, if FME supports the data format, you could use the FMEUniversalReader class from FME Objects Python API to implement to read features from a dataset.

In personal opinion, however, generally there is no advantage to do so, since using the API class is equivalent to use a regular FME reader. Further, using a regular reader (or the FeatureReader transformer) would be much easier and also much more robust.

Hi @takashi

Thank you for your answer. I already have 2 readers in my workspace and each one has a feature type. I want to create a new feature and use the data of those feature types for the new feature. I don't know how to access to the those feature types data via python code in "PythonCreator" transformer?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

What are the specific contents of "the data of those feature types" which should be used to create a new feature?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Looks like the FeatureMerger is the way to go.

What are the criteria merge the data from a "cable_BOM" feature to a "cable" feature?

I couldn't use "FeatureMerger" because for every row of "cable_BOM" the merge condition can be changed and the connection between "cable" and "cable_BOM" is 1 to n.

In general my question is how “PythonCreator” transformer can get access to the feature type information in the readers that be added in a workspace?

Userlevel 4

I would still consider using the FeatureMerger for this scenario. The PythonCaller isn't really equipped to merge datasets, especially large datasets.

If you have several join cases, consider using e.g. a TestFilter to separate the different join cases and send them to different FeatureMergers set up for each join case.

If your data resides in a SQL database, you might also want to consider the SQLCreator and using database joins in your select statement. For large datasets this would be much faster than using a FeatureMerger.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I've already answered to the question at first. That is, you can use the FMEUniversalReader class from FME Objects Python API to read features from a dataset.

However, I still think that there might be easier way. We could think of that, if you clarify the conditions for merging more specifically.

I used "PythonCaller" transformer for creating a class and passed the two dataset to it and implemented my scenario. Hopefully it is working, before that I was thinking this transformer just was for creating a function, not a class. Thank you Takashi for all of your help