Question

Error licensing ArcMap on FME Server machine

• 27 January 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +8

Hi,

Perhaps someone has come across this before. I am trying to license ArcMap on our FME Server.

• FME Server 2015 is installed with the FME Server license Manager on the same server (server1 )using port 27000
  • ArcMap license manager is installed on server2 also using port 27000.
  • Port 27000 is open on each server. Both machines are running Win 2008 Server.
  • We install ArcMap on the FME Server (server1) and try to license it using the license manger on server2 but I get an error that there is no License server running on the ArcMap license manager server.

The FME Server and ArcMap license managers are on different servers. Therefore I would expect that I can connect to the ArcMap license manager from the FME server even though they both use port 27000 as they are separate servers. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Annette

5 replies

Userlevel 4

You may want to start by changing the port number on the FME license server and see if that helps:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/19460/specify-port-numbers-used-by-flexlm.html

Badge +8

Unfortunately the servers are mostly managed by a 3rd party and almost every change requires an individual service request. It took a month to get ArcMap installed and we've had this license issue now for 3 weeks.

Our department manages the ArcMap servers but not the FME server. ArcMap desktop is scripted to use port 27000 so all the clients will be affected if we change the production ArcMap license server.

One thought is to set up a test ArcMap license server on our test AGS server using a different port, submit 2 individual firewall requests, and then meet the people who have login rights to the FME server to test again.

This will take 2 weeks, and another 2 weeks to a month to implement production; hence the question. I don't have the option to put a non floating license on the FME server either. Maybe someone else has also experienced this before?

Another route I'm trying is that although the ports are open it may be that we specifically have to request connectivity among the 2 servers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

I can confirm that we run a separate Esri license server on 27000 and run a separate license server for FME Desktops on 27000.

You do say that it is your "FME Server", so presume you are talking about FME Server the software and that you must be using a pre-2016 version, as FlexLM isn't used for FME Server anymore

Have you confirmed that you can telnet to server2 on 27000 from the FME Server machine, just to make sure you can actually get through.

Badge +8

I can confirm that we run a separate Esri license server on 27000 and run a separate license server for FME Desktops on 27000.

You do say that it is your "FME Server", so presume you are talking about FME Server the software and that you must be using a pre-2016 version, as FlexLM isn't used for FME Server anymore

Have you confirmed that you can telnet to server2 on 27000 from the FME Server machine, just to make sure you can actually get through.

Thanks Todd. Good to know. Yes using FME Server 2015 and we can telnet from the FME Server on port 27000 to server2, the ArcMap licensing server.

It's the FME Desktop clients that have their FlexLM license server on the same machine as FME Server.

I'll get in touch with the network team before I proceed further. Thanks

Userlevel 4

Is it possible that your network adapter is using IPv6? This is currently not supported by the floating license manager, so try disabling IPv6 on the client and see if that helps.