Question

ESRI ArcGIS Server Feature Service Reader Fails When Spaces are in the Feature Type Name

• 12 September 2019
  • 2 replies

I'm using a FeatureReader to read an ArcGIS Server Map Service. The map service has a lot of layers (AKA: Feature Types) which I can choose from to read.

If I choose a feature type name which doesn't have a space then it works but if I choose one with a space then FME Desktop errors saying it can't find the feature type with the truncated feature type name at the first space.

Here is an extract from the logs below for "Fish habitat areas" as an example of it incorrectly reading "fish" as the feature type name

ArcGIS Feature Service Reader: Could not find a layer/table matching feature type 'Fish'

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Storing feature(s) to FME feature store file `C:\\tempDir\\wb-cache-DownloadFishHabitats-C19216\\Main_map_service_-_FeatureReader -1 3 fo 633 _lt_REJECTED_gt_ 0 85bd7267ad00c49a5eda9b6f99fe095bbe050483.ffsupdating'

Is there a way I can get around this? (I can't remove the spaces in the feature names because it's a map service provided by an external source)

EDIT: The list of features to load is exposed as published parameter for users to select. If I run it as a stand alone reader and select only the "Fish Habitat Areas" feature inside the transformer then it works fine

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I've asked our developers if they have any info. I don't see this reported as a problem by any other user, which is a little surprising. I would have expected if this is an issue, that it hasn't occurred before. Anyway, I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks Mark, my suspicion on the issue is around exposing the features types to read through a published user parameter. btw the version is --> FME Desktop 2018.1