Question

Coordinate extraction

• 18 April 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to extract the exact coordinates from list of addresses that I have. I have no idea how to do it or even if it is possible in FME. I have just list of ~1000 addresses in Excel file and I would need to get the exact coordinates of each address. Is it possible to be done in FME?

Thank you in advance!

3 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I think, what you're looking is Geocoding. Unless you have some sort of street and streetnumbers data that you can use along with your Excel file, you can try Geocoding API from Google.

This Web Service will return you coordinates in JSON format that you can use later on.

You should give it a try (call it with HTTPCaller or similar transformers) and tell us your findings.

Cheers,

Zelimir

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Did you have a look at the GeoCoder transformer in FME?

That seems to be the right way to do it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hi,

I think, what you're looking is Geocoding. Unless you have some sort of street and streetnumbers data that you can use along with your Excel file, you can try Geocoding API from Google.

This Web Service will return you coordinates in JSON format that you can use later on.

You should give it a try (call it with HTTPCaller or similar transformers) and tell us your findings.

Cheers,

Zelimir

Just a quick reminder: if you use the Google API for geocoding you can only use the results on a Google Map... I've used the OpenCage geocoder myself, they have a reasonably good free tier and you can use the results any way you like.