Solved

Dashboard Data for Unused Workspaces

• 19 March 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

The Dashboard data is great for seeing patterns over a period of 30 days but if the period were extended it could provide other information too. For example, "how long has it been since a certain workspace has been used?" That would identify FME scripts that are no longer being used.

It would be easy to build something that would store the daily data better than the current CSV files, for example, a SQLite database, and then build reports off of it. However, I'm wonder if Safe has something like this in the works already?

icon

Best answer by jlutherthomas 19 March 2018, 23:26

View original

7 replies

Badge +2

Hi @jimo

The FME Server database does record history longer than 30 days - which is where the CSV information is coming from.

The fme_job_history table has the request information which contains the workspace name. If you can read this, you could build your own dashboard to report unused workspaces.
Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi @jimo

The FME Server database does record history longer than 30 days - which is where the CSV information is coming from.

The fme_job_history table has the request information which contains the workspace name. If you can read this, you could build your own dashboard to report unused workspaces.
I might actually add some custom dashboards, thanks for the suggestion.

Badge +1

Hi @jimo

How do I connect to postgres on the local machine? I have tried localhost at port 5432 but get "could not connect to server: Connection refused". I have my pg_hba.conf file configured for a remote engine, that is, " all all 0.0.0.0/0". Also, what account do I connect as?

Badge +2
How do I connect to postgres on the local machine? I have tried localhost at port 5432 but get "could not connect to server: Connection refused". I have my pg_hba.conf file configured for a remote engine, that is, " all all 0.0.0.0/0". Also, what account do I connect as?

If you're using the default database it's port 7082

Badge +1

Hi @jimo

Okay, I can connect on localhost at port 7082 to database postgres with user/password fmeserver/fmeserver and database fmeserver. The user name and password are defined in the fmeCommonConfig.txt file.

Would be nice to have some official documentation on all this.

Badge +1

My fme_job_history table only goes back 5 days. I think that's because I set my "Remove Job History" to 4 days to conserve space on our VM.

I think if you wanted to save history for say, one year you would still have to store it elsewhere, else you would wind up with one year's worth of log files. This would be easy to do by just adding an SQLite writer to the JobHistoryStatisticsGathering.fmw script that populates the CSV files.

Badge +2
Okay, I can connect on localhost at port 7082 to database postgres with user/password fmeserver/fmeserver and database fmeserver. The user name and password are defined in the fmeCommonConfig.txt file.

Would be nice to have some official documentation on all this.

We don't want to make it easy for people to get access into those databases because if people make changes then there's a good chance it would break things on FME Server. So use the power wisely (read only)