Question

How to write XML metadata to Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb Raster Dataset)?

• 13 September 2017
  • 10 replies

Badge

For a project I’m trying to use FME to directly write XML formatted metadata, stored in an attribute, to an ArcSDE Oracle database with FME.

Following these examples (1&2), It works fine with a SDE Feature Class & the Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb) writer.

However, for a SDE Raster Dataset I’m experiencing some difficulties:

• The Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb) writer won’t let me write to SDE Raster Dataset
  • The Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb Raster Dataset) writer doesn’t have the option to set the allowed geometries to geodb_metadata.

Does anybody have experience with this issue (and perhaps a solution), or am I doing something wrong?

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @thomas_merkus, using the Raster format, if you were to create the geodb_type attribute and set it to "geodb_metadata" (as in Writing XML Metadata to Geodatabase), are you able to write successfully?

Badge +8

Hi @thomas_merkus What error do you get? And does this help? My guess is that you should use the FME parameter geodb_type to set to geodb_metadata, not the geometry type.

Badge

Thx @helmoet & @TiaAtSafe! Yes that is the same method I tried. I noticed that in some cases it actually works and in others I got an error message. Moreover, I was wondering if this is the correct way to do it. The errors are then probably due to some other issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Thx @helmoet & @TiaAtSafe! Yes that is the same method I tried. I noticed that in some cases it actually works and in others I got an error message. Moreover, I was wondering if this is the correct way to do it. The errors are then probably due to some other issue.

What was the error message(s) you were getting?
Badge

@helmoet @TiaAtSafe The workspace error is:

|ERROR |Error occurred using IXmlPropertySet2::setXml(). HRESULT = -2147215103. File: geodbutilities.cpp Line #: 2881

It only happens for certain raster datasets, while others work fine.

Badge +9

@Thomas_merkus, were you able to debug your problem? I have a similar error for a vector featureclass and only on this featureclass in two different SDE databases.

Badge

@Thomas_merkus, were you able to debug your problem? I have a similar error for a vector featureclass and only on this featureclass in two different SDE databases.

@tnarladni, Not yet unfortunately. Although, I have not tried writing directly into Oracle instead of SDE, but that might be more of a workaround.

Badge +8

Hi @thomas_merkus, here is where I quit. Might be an idea to submit a support call at Safe's?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @thomas_merkus, here is where I quit. Might be an idea to submit a support call at Safe's?

@thomas_merkus please do submit a case if this is still causing your grief. You can submit a case along with the workspace and log file here .
Badge
@thomas_merkus please do submit a case if this is still causing your grief. You can submit a case along with the workspace and log file here .

@helmoet @TiaAtSafe I have submitted the case. I'll keep you updated!